To refuse to buy croissants any more because my children can't pronounce the word?

(95 Posts)
MattDillonsPants Wed 23-Mar-16 07:44:58

They USED to say it correctly but since we moved to South Australia, they've been calling them "Cross-onts" like the locals.

I can't BEAR it!

They still have English accents...it's not a case of them trying to fit in because there are no other local colloquialisms or pronunciations they've picked up. I know it wouldn't bother many people but it bothers ME!

00100001 Wed 23-Mar-16 07:48:32

How would you like them to pronounce it???

Ifailed Wed 23-Mar-16 07:48:33

You've moved to a foreign country and your kids have picked up an accent? Who'd a though it.

FlowerOfTheWest Wed 23-Mar-16 07:52:17

Just buy lamingtons instead. Problem solved. wink

Frika Wed 23-Mar-16 07:55:14

My middle-class English friends go for a variety of pronunciations, presumably having decided that the full-on French version sounds pretentious when speaking English. A cut-glass 'KWOSS-ahng' (which seems to be the popular choice) is pretty funny, though.

ChilliMum Wed 23-Mar-16 07:56:30

Yanbu! We live in France so croissants is not a problem but we know a couple of American expat families and my dc started picking up Americanisms which I resolutely refuse to understand. I have a little cupboard with sweets or bonbons in it but defiantly no candy smile

whatdoIget Wed 23-Mar-16 08:05:10

It would annoy me too, however I would try not to pass my annoyance on to the children. I've realised that I tend to be overly critical of little things like this and it isn't constructive or helpful. So I would correct them but in a pleasant way. And if they carried on pronouncing it in the wrong way, I would get over it.

MattDillonsPants Wed 23-Mar-16 08:09:41

Flower Oh I do!

And they call them "Lammos" sad

grin

MattDillonsPants Wed 23-Mar-16 08:11:30

Chilli they're all 'lollies" here. Whether they're on a stick or not! And Bon Bons....they're Christmas Crackers!

Manchester = bedding!

Footle Wed 23-Mar-16 08:36:06

I didn't know that about Manchester. The Czech word for corduroy is manšetr though - same word.

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Wed 23-Mar-16 08:41:43

I say 'Crossont' and I haven't moved anywhere.

mommy2ash Wed 23-Mar-16 08:42:45

You would hate me I say cross awnt. I'm not French I don't spreak French so I sound ridiculous attempting the correct pronunciation

Oysterbabe Wed 23-Mar-16 08:45:37

I say a mixture of correct and wrong
KWOSS-ONT

MattDillonsPants Wed 23-Mar-16 08:46:50

Footle apparently here it's because all the bedding used to come from Manchester...cotton mills and all that....and the crates were all stamped MANCHESTER.

Small why do you say Crossont??

Oysterbabe Wed 23-Mar-16 08:51:12

I also don't say paella correctly because I feel stupid. I do get bruschetta right though and correct people who don't know how to say it grin

scarednoob Wed 23-Mar-16 08:53:37

Yep - manchester also used to be called cottonopolis because of the mills.

These days it would be called "2 bed 2 bath flats in old mills"!

Pootles2010 Wed 23-Mar-16 08:55:35

I say 'Cross-ont' too. You still haven't told us how you say it OP!

lanbro Wed 23-Mar-16 09:03:03

I would say Qua-son. I'm currently getting grief from my friends for saying Latay and not Latay for Latte!

Annoys me no end that another friend calls Brioche Bree-ock but at the end of the day they're just words!

lanbro Wed 23-Mar-16 09:03:33

*Lartay!

BillBrysonsBeard Wed 23-Mar-16 09:04:07

I thought it was Crossont until someone told me it was Cwassont... I have never needed to say this word though grin

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Wed 23-Mar-16 09:04:14

I always have said cross-ont. I'm well aware of the French pronunciation but most people I know seem to say it that way.

SovietKitsch Wed 23-Mar-16 09:05:57

I say wot lanbro says, I eat em too...grin

budgiegirl Wed 23-Mar-16 09:07:55

I say 'cross-ont' too, even though I know it's wrong - after years of saying it incorrectly I can't get out of the habit.

I can't get over excited about it, lots of people pronounce words incorrectly, it's not really worth getting upset about.

BunnyTyler Wed 23-Mar-16 09:08:25

Kwasson.

Notthecarwashagain Wed 23-Mar-16 09:09:31

I can't pronounce it 'properly' without saying it in a stupid voice.
I feel like a pretentious wanker otherwise.

Same with nougat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now