Talk

Advanced search

To think I know how loud I want my TV!?!

(27 Posts)
Cornettoninja Mon 21-Mar-16 22:20:07

Bloody bastarding adverts blaring out decibels louder than the programme I've just been watching, different channels blaring while some whisper, sodding films that rely on whispering dialogue and massive explosions to create an 'atmosphere'.

Just fuck off! I want to put my volume at 17 and leave it there rather than think I'm pissing off my neighbours or disturbing the never-ending breast feeding session that this child is fully committed to breaking their own personal record on.

<I suppose I should say 'lighthearted' or 'LIGHTHEARTED' just to get your attention angry>

ShamefulPlaceMarker Mon 21-Mar-16 22:21:57

I hate it withe loud adverts. Reminds me of the mr bean scene though when he wakes up to a bodyform advert grin

ShamefulPlaceMarker Mon 21-Mar-16 22:22:09

Yanbu

Fratelli Mon 21-Mar-16 22:22:46

Yabu for having your tv on 17, it's got to be an even number! grin
Yanbu for the rest...so bloody annoying!

ratspeaker Mon 21-Mar-16 22:22:57

I feel your PAIN

I think it defeats the purpose as I tend to mute at the ad break so don't pay attention to what they trying to sell

RealityCheque Mon 21-Mar-16 22:23:12

YABVU for having your TV volume set to a prime number!

shudder

Cornettoninja Mon 21-Mar-16 22:30:50

Gotta love a MN digression <idly changes the volume to 15>. THEY made me do it!

(Hopes its irritating enough to get the population on board with a national campaign to stop the odd number madness)

Arkwright Mon 21-Mar-16 22:34:30

I hate this. I have been watching Happy Valley on a Tuesday night late in bed as I don't get in until late. I set it on the right volume then the music starts after a few minutes and it's really loud. Why can't they have everything at the same volume?

Seeyounearertime Mon 21-Mar-16 22:37:59

It's probably the sound setting on the tv, try setting it to "Voice" and turn any auto gubbins off.

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Mar-16 22:39:56

10. The volume shall be set to 10.
Unless it's fucking irritating kiddy shrill programmes. Then 7 is quite loud enough thank you!

intotheblue9 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:41:12

Yanbu. Stupid backing music on every flipping thing as well. Up music, down music, crazy music, this-is-what-we-want-you-to-feel-now music. Argh! Always badly mixed too.

bloodyteenagers Mon 21-Mar-16 22:41:13

Get yourself a hearing test. 17 is loud (completely misses the point of the op) grin

Cornettoninja Mon 21-Mar-16 22:44:07

Seeyou, I tried messing with the sound on the old telly (this isn't a new irritation grin) and royally buggered it up. I'm not allowed to on this one!

DP reckons surround sound speakers would solve it since you can have the dialogue projected closer to your ears. I reckon he's lying hmm

zipzap Mon 21-Mar-16 22:44:15

I remember watching a programme about this a few years back - apparently there are regulations about the noise levels and averages and all sorts of things... They manipulate them very carefully in order to get the greatest difference between the programme and the ads possible, so that they can get more effect from the ads - which all comes back down to extracting money from the advertisers...

You think it's just an annoying thing that happens by chance - which is what they want you to think, when it's a very deliberate and calculated move!

Cornettoninja Mon 21-Mar-16 22:46:55

I promise it isn't loud, well unless some piss poor programme needs to explode or shoot something and wants to make sure you understand the concept of this would make a very loud noise or that I need hot cross buns apparently.

Cornettoninja Mon 21-Mar-16 22:50:04

zip I saw some programme where other miserable arses like me had complained (think it was about Jamaica inn?) about the dialogue and a producer explained that when they were in the editing phase they all knew the script so well they knew what was being said so didn't clock how indecipherable it was and just concentrated on stuff like 'atmospheric' music and effects.

wheresthetea Mon 21-Mar-16 23:06:07

Is it just me whose TV volume apparently goes up to 100, but I can't imagine why? The loudest I can comfortably have it is about 30 if I'm watching a really quiet, whispery drama. Usually it's 10-12. Is it just a case of the manufacturer saying "Well, ours goes up to 11?" grin

springydaffs Mon 21-Mar-16 23:12:56

Mine's on 20. Tell me it's an old telly - is 20 just hideously loud because I don't want my neighbours knowing I watch crappy films/tv ? sometimes

I turn off the volume during ad breaks. Completely automatic. Sometimes I'm absorbed on MN I forget and I'm amazed at how interesting the ads are because I've only watched them, never heard them.

CantChoose Tue 22-Mar-16 00:38:58

cornettoninja I genuinely HATE to say this but your dp is right. Much against my better judgement I bought OH a fancy surround sound system for Christmas. We have it on SO quietly now as we can actually hear the dialogue. And adverts are less annoying.
I haven't admitted this to him yet though so shhhhhhh!!

scarednoob Tue 22-Mar-16 05:45:54

You're all mad. Odd numbers for volumes. Car, tv, radio... odd!!!

I thought it was because people tend to leave the room during adverts for tea/toilet breaks, so that they can --have no choice but to--still hear the adverts.

Btw, "happy valley" had problems with the sound in a few episodes. The bbc blamed the Yorkshire accents! Pfffft.

scarednoob Tue 22-Mar-16 05:47:07

Hmm, should have been "so that they can have no choice but to still hear the adverts "

ClopySow Tue 22-Mar-16 07:01:41

Yabu. I have my telly at 58 on some channels and 79 on Judge Judy.

londonrach Tue 22-Mar-16 07:45:19

Set mine at 20. My pil or parents cant hear it unless its a lot louder. 20 is comfortable. Mine you the adverts blast out so have to turn down between!

MistressChalk Tue 22-Mar-16 07:55:08

We had to turn ours up to 65 last night to hear a film. But it had no explosions, just lots of talking which was still barely audible!
Usually it stays somewhere between 20 and 30 for most stuff but DP will try and put it up to 45 for his loud, screaming cast and explosion filled films which drives me mad because it's too loud to hear (sensitive hearing) and I get paranoid next door can hear it so can't enjoy the film for fear of being an arsehole neighbour grin they have assured me they never hear it but it still worries me when it goes into the 40s. No idea what the max volume is, probably 100.

Paintedhandprints Tue 22-Mar-16 07:59:27

Just record any programme you want to watch, then fast forward the ads.
But ultimately yanbu. Bloomin annoying having to monitor the volume all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now