Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder why the heck Eddie Izzard hasn't received a knighthood yet?

(23 Posts)
MiniMover Mon 21-Mar-16 18:59:44

The extent of this man's charity efforts is phenomenal! Leaving aside the ridiculous effort required to complete 27 marathons in 27 days for Sports Relief, he also does a huge amount for veterans charities and performed a special set for the D Day commemorations a couple of years ago, first in English then in French and then in German! He apparently used his influence to ensure as many vets got there as possible regardless of whether they could afford it. In on top of being a brilliant, intelligent comedian.
He's a bloody legend! I think recognition is seriously overdue.

MiniMover Mon 21-Mar-16 19:07:36

BumpPower Mon 21-Mar-16 19:08:54

Agreed, has he had any sort of honour? Would he accept do you think?

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Mon 21-Mar-16 19:09:10

Yes!! He's amazing! I totally agree.... But there's plenty who won't

ThatsNotMyRabbit Mon 21-Mar-16 19:10:25

Well he's not funny at all so he doesn't deserve a knighthood for that!

But as for the charity stuff and just seeming to be a bloody nice bloke - yeah.

AlisonWunderland Mon 21-Mar-16 19:10:34

He's bloody brilliant!
27 marathons and his manicure is still immaculate. I can't get more than a week out of even Shellac

WishICouldThinkOfACoolUsername Mon 21-Mar-16 19:12:36

Apparently he's a republican so may have been offered and turned it down?

PrancingQueen Mon 21-Mar-16 19:13:40

YANBU - I love Eddie.

MiniMover Mon 21-Mar-16 19:13:47

Well even if you don't agree re his humour. Nobody can deny he's probably one of our most prolific celebrity charity supporters. And not in a way that courts publicity either. The whole support for the veterans stuff was done without any publicity whatsoever.

MiniMover Mon 21-Mar-16 19:14:30

Yes I think he's quite a lefty and also a republican so it may well have been offered and declined.

tilliebob Mon 21-Mar-16 19:15:59

YANBU

Eddie Izzard is a legend grin

MrsSteptoe Mon 21-Mar-16 19:17:18

Ian Botham was 52 before he got his knighthood, and he was also a prolific fundraiser - £12 million, according to Wiki, although that's over many more years. Long distance walking in his case. But of course that's slightly whataboutery - actually, I agree, honours would be very appropriate for Eddie Izzard. Botham should have got his earlier, really, I think.

DaisyAdair Mon 21-Mar-16 19:22:40

Why won't they MumOnTheRun?

He is amazing!

pinkdelight Mon 21-Mar-16 19:24:33

He wants to run for London mayor for Labour, doesn't he? Can't see the Powers That Be wanting to aid his ambitions. But also agree he may have turned it down anyhow.

biddy53 Mon 21-Mar-16 19:24:38

I love him - an impressive man and easy on the eye

MiniMover Mon 21-Mar-16 19:24:41

Yes, Ian botham also deserved in for his fundraising. I think his efforts directly affected how many children began to beat Leukaemia fur to the massive fundraising his walks attracted.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Mon 21-Mar-16 19:24:49

He's bloody amazing (I may be a tad biased).

He puts his mind to stuff and then just does it. He got a special BBC sports personality award back in 2009 when he ran the UK. He should most certainly get a knighthood, but I suspect he might turn it down (he's not a big fan of royalty)

Royals

MiniMover Mon 21-Mar-16 20:15:29

Yes I'll concede it may not be his thing. But I'd still like to see a bit of recognition.

MiniMover Mon 21-Mar-16 20:23:04

Sorry just realised there was s similar thread yesterday

Laidupwithabrokenleg Mon 21-Mar-16 20:29:57

Maybe he doesn't want one, or any other honor come to that...

MadameJosephine Mon 21-Mar-16 20:44:02

I love Eddie Izzard, he truly is an incredible human being. I love him even more because he probably wouldn't accept a knighthood even if it was offered

Happyrouter Mon 21-Mar-16 20:45:12

I don't see him on the list here en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_declined_a_British_honour but I did skim and it might not be exhaustive.

Some interesting people on there though.

Missyaggravation Mon 21-Mar-16 20:50:40

Agree, do love him. Went off him slightly for a bit but his latest show had me laughing. Obviously he is a good human being part from his ability to make me laugh grin. Went off Stewart Lee when he had a go at Eddie for not being able to ad-lib conflicted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now