Talk

Advanced search

The Easter Bunny

(8 Posts)
Slummamumma Mon 21-Mar-16 17:31:31

Help needed please! DS is 5, in year 1 and a firm believer in Father Christmas, Tooth Fairies, and the Easter Bunny. He has just come up to me and said that some of the girls in his class (Y2s - they share a teacher) have told him the Easter Bunny doesn't exist and it's just people's parents. Am I setting him up to be teased at school? Basically, no way I'm telling him about the big FC but should I be honest about the Easter Bunny? Or maybe wait until after Easter so he doesn't have to admit he was wrong to these girls this year...

dontbreathesomedays Mon 21-Mar-16 17:32:45

Well how would you deal with it if it was FC?

Do you want him to believe, or aren't you bothered?

memememum Mon 21-Mar-16 18:20:07

Can you be non committal about it? Eg "oh that's interesting, what do you think?" It depends somewhat on what you've said about it before I think.

Mousefinkle Mon 21-Mar-16 18:23:17

Someone told me their five year old turned to them and said "mummy, of course the Easter bunny isn't real, that's silly!" And I'm inclined to agree. I've never really pushed the bunny on them... It's not a huge part of our culture really is it. It's one of those American things I think.

clarella Mon 21-Mar-16 18:33:47

After having to teach it in more detail than I ever have before - Easter bunny comes from the pagan / Easter mix.

Easter is at full moon. Spring festival of Ostara. (Some sort of link to oestrogen somewhere) Something to do with hares moon gazing etc. Romans brought rabbits and Christianity. (I think?! I didn't teach that bit) eggs symbolise stone in front of burial chamber. And new life - chicks etc.

Something like that. I'm feeling ropey with a tummy bug and can't quite remember...

PurpleDaisies Mon 21-Mar-16 18:34:48

If he asks again I'd ask him what he thinks. Then if he asks you again I wouldn't lie about it. I don't think it'll ruin his enjoyment of the Easter eggs if he knows they came from you.

Slummamumma Mon 21-Mar-16 19:52:51

Thank you very much for your helpful responses. Yes I will ask him what he thinks if he asks again. Not really bothered if he believes or not, and not entirely sure how the EB became such a legend! Perhaps wasn't sure about letting him down. Would be gutted if was FC but if he asks about FC I couldn't lie about that so good point dontbreathe. smile

Birdsgottafly Mon 21-Mar-16 21:07:24

""It's not a huge part of our culture really is it. It's one of those American things I think.""

No, as said, it was European. The Easter Bunny was around when I was little, I'm 48.

OP, I didn't do FC past around three, but we've always had a love of Folklore and that included the EB.

I always gave the explanation that some people aren't open to magic.

My DH was Irish and they told tails of Fairies and 'Little Folk', there really is no harm in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now