Talk

Advanced search

To not get residents parking scheme 9-5

(30 Posts)
holdonfor1moreday Mon 21-Mar-16 08:32:19

Bristol. Anyone can park where I live all weekend. Just not 9-5 mon-fri.

9-5 Mon to Friday is when people are at work and was before/and after the scheme empty. If anything the hours should be reversed. Ami being fick or is it illogic?

BlossomMagic Mon 21-Mar-16 08:33:38

Do you live near offices and so they are trying to stop people who work there parking there?

slicedfinger Mon 21-Mar-16 08:33:45

It makes sense round our way. Loads of people park up for the day and get on the train or bus to work. Your way parking is kept for people who generally live there.

Sparklingbrook Mon 21-Mar-16 08:35:27

Yes, it's to stop people parking there all day for work generally.

sleepyhead Mon 21-Mar-16 08:36:13

Usually it's to stop commuters taking all the parking during the day.

00100001 Mon 21-Mar-16 08:37:08

, what PP said, to stop commuters parking in residential areas all day smile

One place round here has an hour long permit zone from 11-12 - for the same reason.

scarednoob Mon 21-Mar-16 08:37:10

Yep - I live in Central London - if we didn't have restricted parking, people who work near here would drive to work. But we have it from 8am-10pm, 7 days a week.

holdonfor1moreday Mon 21-Mar-16 08:38:45

Oh I see. I guess there are a few offices nearby but not many. I'd rather it was banned all weekend personally. Even before the scheme there weren't problems parking 9-5 but there aways is at the weekend.

bloodyteenagers Mon 21-Mar-16 08:39:39

Makes sense here. Until it was introduced residents either couldn't park if they went out as their space would be taken by commuters. Or they couldn't use their car knowing on return there would be no space.
It came to blows when the office workers opposite started harassing residents to find out when they would move as this was making them late for work when a 2 hour thing was introduced and residents would use that time to take back their space.

exexpat Mon 21-Mar-16 08:40:05

I'm in Bristol, in one of the residents' parking zones too, and where I live was used as commuter parking before the zone came in (close to the university, walking distance to centre of city), so it was completely parked up during the day - as soon as a resident left, someone else would take their space, and people were parking all round corners, blocking in drives etc.

When this area went residents-only, the next area out started getting parked up during the day, and so on, until the cars ended up on the Downs, and they have now brought parking restrictions in there too.

Maybe your area is different and didn't attract commuters, if it was actually empty during the day before? In which case there doesn't seem much point in the scheme, unless you are next to an area which was used as commuter parking and you would have got the overflow if parking restrictions were brought in there.

holdonfor1moreday Mon 21-Mar-16 08:40:23

It is annoying though, the permits cost and the guest permits are 1 pound a day and I always have to have a stash of them for tradespeople. The cleaner uses one each week for instance.

holdonfor1moreday Mon 21-Mar-16 08:43:59

Eexpat I feel you must be near me (Clifton west). Maybe there was more of a problem that I wasn't aware of previously.

My dad is asleep (very unwell) and I've for 20 mins to move his car before they come in and no guest permits left. WhEre is the nearest with no restrictions?

Was planning to drive to the downs but you say that's got them now!

exexpat Mon 21-Mar-16 08:51:36

Yes, I think they need a bit more flexibility on guest permits - I have had a lot of building work done over the past couple of years, and got through the guest permits really fast. I don't mind paying for them, but it is a problem when you are only allowed a limited number a year and some days I had two or three different workmen with their vans for a few hours. There needs to be some better scheme for people doing work at residential addresses.

exexpat Mon 21-Mar-16 08:54:03

Not the same area, but not far. You can park for up to five hours on the Downs now (Ladies Mile etc) - is that any good?

gnoomi Mon 21-Mar-16 09:03:05

Yes here I wouldn't be able to leave my house in the car in the day time because I'd never be able to park again. Residents parking is amazing. I'm also in an area with a large number of students who used to just park their cars for a whole term (honestly). Now they can't do that as they can only get a certain number of permits per house and only if the vehicle is registered here (most seem to be registered at their parents), so it cuts down the overall number of cars

gnoomi Mon 21-Mar-16 09:06:25

Just seen your post about the cleaner: people I know pay for the parking by the hour to save their permits for full day type stuff. Cleaners seem to come in pairs now to halve the parking time!

EBearhug Mon 21-Mar-16 09:10:40

It's the same here (not Bristol.) When the council were going through consultation to put the parking scheme in, I pointed out that I've never had a problem with parking during the day, and if there were a few people parking there and walking down to the station, it wasn't causing a problem. The problem with parking is when all the residents are back in the evening, especially the two-car households - but that's not when they were planning to have the restrictions in use.

Apparently I was one of only three complaints, and everyone else was overwhelmingly in favour. I am sure the council are in favour. £25 a year for every permit + £8 for every visitor's permit is a nice tidy income across all the streets affected.

I assume either the council were exaggerating the support they got, or my neighbours are all stupid.

FishWithABicycle Mon 21-Mar-16 09:11:17

There's a map of RPZ areas at www.bristol.gov.uk/parking/map-of-scheme-areas - looks like you'll need to go to the roads north of the Downs or the coldharbour road area towards Westbury park.

I'm generally in favour of the RPZ though I do think there are things that could be better (e.g. workmen taking all your visitor permits - but you know that if perpatetic workmen could have a "park anywhere" carte blanche it would be massively abused). There are several places I regularly go which used to be impossible to park in due to commuters leaving their cars there all day, where it is now possible to find a parking space (which is of course free for 30 minutes and only £1 for longer so it's not a huge hardship)

logfiresspit Mon 21-Mar-16 09:25:48

god I wish we had your sort of CPZ. If you run out of your annual allowance of permits here (10/year, so not generous - they cost I think £8/day) then it's £32 for a contractor to park. THIRTY TWO POUNDS A DAY!

scarednoob Mon 21-Mar-16 09:29:48

Of course, the council also make money from it. Round here it's about £4.50 an hour to pay and display, and the vulture traffic wardens actively lurk around cars with those tickets in their windows

holdonfor1moreday Mon 21-Mar-16 10:51:42

Thanks its parked by the downs 5 hours should be ok

logfiresspit - that sounds horrific! Where is it out of interest? Somewhere nice like oxford I presume?

IcaMorgan Mon 21-Mar-16 11:36:34

At my last flat the workmen had to get their own permits and it didn't come out of our allowance. The permit was £130 per year and guest permits £8.00 per day when I moved so will have gone up since

exexpat Mon 21-Mar-16 11:41:54

logfiresspit wow - I wouldn't mind paying extra for contractors' permits, but £32 is crazy. I would guess you are in London with those figures.

I used to live in Tokyo, and there they have no free on street parking anywhere, at any time. In order to own a car anywhere in Japan you have to prove that you have exclusive use of an off-street parking space/garage that is big enough for the car you are getting. The police actually come round and measure it before you can proceed with purchase and registration.

The system certainly works, but only because in most places there is a highly efficient public transport system to go with it, so most people really don't need cars. Unfortunately, Bristol does not have the kind of public transport system which discourages people from using cars...

holdonfor1moreday Tue 22-Mar-16 07:13:21

If your in the west end permits were 32 last year and 38 this year! I guess its one of the most expensive property in the world, but a decade ago was affordable.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 22-Mar-16 07:21:16

Bristol city council hates motorists. It's a shame they don't make the public transport better so that people don't want/need cars so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now