Advanced search

To think someone should have helped

(27 Posts)
gardenswithchickensinthem Mon 21-Mar-16 07:48:42

Six weeks ago I did some bad damage to my back. I've never had a bad back before and it was quite frightening.

Initially I couldn't do anything - driving or even putting shoes/socks on. I did go to the walk in centre and just got a brush off. I called my own doctor who just faced some pain relief to the pharmacy.

It's got 'better' in that I can (just) put my own shoes on and drive, but at the risk of sounding like a drama llama I've no quality of life at all. My commute to work is less than half an hour and by the end I'm in an awful amount of pain, if I sit next to a child to help them (I am a teacher) I'm in pain. I can't exercise, I sleep badly and I'm frightened to even sneeze or cough.

I'm actually seeing the doctor tomorrow. Has anyone any advice for what I can say. I'm worried about being given the brush off again, oh well nothing we can do for bad backs.

XIsACunt Mon 21-Mar-16 07:52:25

I would tell them (insist) this is affecting your work and you want to be refered to an osteopath, physiotherapist etc. someone that can actually try work out what's damaged and how to help heal it. It doesn't sound like pain killers and rest are doing anything.

gardenswithchickensinthem Mon 21-Mar-16 07:53:14

It isn't, X, and it's bloody awful sad

VimFuego101 Mon 21-Mar-16 07:56:33

I found doctors to be extremely unhelpful with backs. Have you considered seeing a chiropractor? (You'll probably have to pay). Some people frown on them, and you should probably still work on the underlying issue that caused it to happen, but hopefully they can provide some immediate relief.

Muskateersmummy Mon 21-Mar-16 08:08:17

I have been extremely lucky because mine is broken they have been very helpful. I have seen a physio so I would ask for a referal to either a physio or osteopath. You need to get to the bottom of what's causing the pain so really you should have a ct or MRI scan to check what's happening.

Lighteningirll Mon 21-Mar-16 08:10:42

Pilates again in case you don't listen gentle back care Pilates better than physio or osteopath and a private session one on one costs the same.

gardenswithchickensinthem Mon 21-Mar-16 08:11:16

I know Vim, others have mentioned this but it does seem mixed views as to whether I need a chiropractor or physiotherapist, and really I don't mind, I just want my life back! But rest hasn't helped, moving hasn't helped, pain relief hasn't helped. It's awful.

gardenswithchickensinthem Mon 21-Mar-16 08:11:48

Lightenin- 'in case I don't listen'? What?

Seeline Mon 21-Mar-16 08:15:03

Osteopaths are experts in backs. They have got me moving again when I have had bad backs in the past.

sandgrown Mon 21-Mar-16 08:15:29

I have a bad back and find regular visits to the physio have helped. She has given me exercises to strengthen my back to avoid it happening again. Good luck . I know how horrible it can be .

Marmitelover55 Mon 21-Mar-16 08:18:55

I hurt my back a few months ago and ended up paying to see an osteopath and she has really helped. They sshould be able to give a diagnosis and suggest some suitable exercises. Try and get one recommended by a friend.

longdiling Mon 21-Mar-16 08:20:22

You don't happen to have a walk/drop in physio in your area do you? They're not well publicised but they're great! I found one at my nearest hospital by Googling and they've been very helpful with my back issues.

curren Mon 21-Mar-16 08:20:38

I find doctors unhelpful with this wort of thing for the first few weeks.

18 months ago I did something to my shoulder. Over the space of a few days my head dropped to my left shoulder, I couldnt hold my head up or move it all. No one was interested.

When it wasn't better after about 7 weeks they were interested.

I assume it's because most problems just need painkillers and resolve themselves in about 6 weeks and there may not be much they can do until they can see if it heals on its own.

Definitely go back if it is stopping you working.

yomellamoHelly Mon 21-Mar-16 08:21:14

Get an appointment with an osteopath for as soon as you can. Once you're "right" again take up something like pilates to strengthen and protect yourself.
Experience tells me a gp will not be much help.

Shadow1986 Mon 21-Mar-16 08:24:35

For a bad back I don't even think I would bother going to a GP, I would just book myself straight in to a chiropractor/osteopath.

In my last pregnancy I had terrible terrible back pain, went to GP, got referred for NHS physio which was pointless.
This pregnancy it started again straight away so have been seeing a chiropractor since.

Georgina1975 Mon 21-Mar-16 08:25:05

I would "third" an osteopath (as opposed to a chiropractor). I always go there privately when my back goes. Haven't gone to GPs in years. Not sure how it works, but I think just having something done helps me relax mentally and physically.

QueenOfToast Mon 21-Mar-16 08:31:24

I totally sympathise with you - it is VERY miserable having back pain.

I agree with others who have suggested the Osteopath. My back was so bad that I could only stand up or lie down on my side - any kind of sitting position (including driving) was excruciating.

An Osteopath will be able to help diagnose the problem and will offer you advice as to what (if anything) you need to ask the doctor for help with.

In my case, the Osteopath did gentle massage and manipulation then strapped up my back in between visits. She told me what type of painkillers I should ask the doctor for and advised the use of an ice pack regularly to help with the pain and inflammation (mine was a soft tissue problem so this worked brilliantly).

Once your back is on the road to recovery you should really go and see a Pilates teacher (ideally for a few one to one sessions if you can afford them). Your osteopath should be able to recommend someone locally.

Realfootyfan Mon 21-Mar-16 08:31:50

GPs are generally unable to help with bad backs. I had a similar thing and my osteopath sorted me out really quickly. Since then I've been for maintenance sessions every few months as well as doing yoga/Pilates for prevention. I'd ask around though for a recommendation, as they do vary in ability.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Mon 21-Mar-16 08:36:00

I put my back out when I was 7m pg. I was in excruciating pain. I tried to move as little as possible, before I managed to see my GP.
She told me to keep moving and take pain relief. She also referred me to a physio, who wasn't massively useful but gave me a handout of some exercises. Once I started trying to keep moving and slowly doing the exercises it did start to clear up.

flowers OP, back pain is the worst thing I've ever experienced. Worse than pushing a human out my clacker.

gardenswithchickensinthem Mon 21-Mar-16 08:47:04

I can't move properly this morning.

It's awful.

Realfootyfan Mon 21-Mar-16 09:08:17

Really sorry to hear this gardens. Thinking back I felt really vulnerable and helpless with severe back pain. But it can and will get better with some treatment. Can you get someone to arrange an osteopath appointment for you. Is there anyone who can give you some tic. Take care.


BitOutOfPractice Mon 21-Mar-16 09:38:11

Oh no. You poor thing. Sounds really awful thanks

I strongly suggest you get yourself to a Physio privately if you can afford it. The wait on the nhs is horrendous

gardenswithchickensinthem Mon 21-Mar-16 09:42:03

Thank you. An ambulance is coming now shock didn't expect that!

BitOutOfPractice Mon 21-Mar-16 09:58:56

Oh good. You're getting seen to. Hope someone can help you and give you excellent drugs

Ed1tY0urPr0f1le Mon 21-Mar-16 11:55:24

I came on to say that my sister is a teacher (little ones) and was signed off for a good few weeks when she did her back in as the job wasn't letting her heal.

She saw a chiropractor reguarly and did whatever they recommended and it gradually got better.

Seeing your update, I would think you need to be taking some time off work to recover. Hope you are being well looked after now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now