Advanced search

to have my baby's first birthday in a park?

(21 Posts)
FedoraTheExplora Mon 21-Mar-16 00:18:22

I'm having my little girl christened, and then I was planning on having her birthday/ christening party afterwards, in our local park.

I'm hoping to set up a gazebo, take my garden sofas and a few chairs for the older members of the party, and a barbecue (raised, so it obviously won't damage the grass) over there. I live 10 seconds away, but my house is far too small to accommodate the invitees.

Now I'm inviting people, I feel I should put something on for the older kids. I'm happy to spend 100 quid on a bouncy castle, but im wondering if I'm allowed to put this up in a public park?

I did email the council asking about the bbq and the gazebo, but they didn't get back to me. I've worked in a nursery for quite a few years, and I've heard of many parties that they've had in parks nearby where they've put a bouncy castle etc up (but not specifically in the park I've chosen).

Am I being unreasonable? The parks pretty big, but mostly dead on a Sunday afternoon (when the party will be). I don't mind if random kids chuck themselves on or even help themselves to the food - the more the merrier. Will a bouncy castle company allow themselves to put their equipment up in a public park? Do you think a member of the council will come along and give me a bollocking? Am I U to even be considering this?

Floggingmolly Mon 21-Mar-16 00:20:54

Are you allowed to have a BBQ? It's specifically banned at all our local parks.

Fatmomma99 Mon 21-Mar-16 00:23:30

sounds lovely!

I would email council again (at 5.01 pm on the Friday afternoon before the party) and say "I contacted you to ask for your consent/comment, and didn't hear back, so unless I hear from you before (time of party) I will assume it's ok to go ahead".

Hope all goes well and you have a lovely time. x

Vintage45 Mon 21-Mar-16 00:26:57

It sounds like a lovely idea but with our English weather being as it is, I'd have a contingency plan.

Out2pasture Mon 21-Mar-16 00:37:54

my daughter hoped to do this (not even with a bbq) not permitted at battersea park.

PunkAssMoFo Mon 21-Mar-16 01:01:05

Is there not a church hall or community centre nesrby? They're generally pretty cheap to hire.

The park would be OK for a picnic party if the weather holds (what would you do if it rained), but reckon the rest isn't really suitable. How would you ward off the general public?

marsbarmarsbar Mon 21-Mar-16 01:25:54

Parties like that are the norm where I live (NZ so good summer weather is more likely) but I'd be surprised if you were allowed to put a bouncy castle up. Here people usually string bunting from trees, have a gazebo like you said but unless the park has BBQs (which again, most parks here do) you couldn't bring your own. If you're not allowed a bouncy castle you could spend the money on an entertainer.

herecomethepotatoes Mon 21-Mar-16 02:00:03

I bet the bouncy castle owner will refuse without permission from the landowners.

BabsUnited Mon 21-Mar-16 02:06:55

Ring a few local bouncy castle companies - they will know if you can do it in a park

FWIW I did similar for my DS 1st bday (minus the bouncy castle and BBQ) and it was great!

Eyre89 Mon 21-Mar-16 04:10:11

I just hired a church hall and a small bouncy castle for ds 2nd Birthday. Not expensive at all and if the weathers bad you aren't going to have to worry about getting everything home and where everyone will fit. We paid £40 for 4 hours in church hall and £60 for a bouncy castle and inflatable obstacle course. We then just made a buffet. You could still cook a bbq outside a hall I would assume if you wanted.

Narp Mon 21-Mar-16 06:28:10

I think it sounds like a nice idea. Interested to see if bouncy castle company would agree.

I think a barbecue is a step too far though. I'd consider it a bit antisocial (and more faff for you)

BertieBotts Mon 21-Mar-16 06:32:54

You might have issues with insurance if random kids are getting on the trampoline.

marmiteloversunite Mon 21-Mar-16 06:40:11

The bouncy castle needs an electricity point usually. How are you going to plug it in? Or you will have to think about a generator too?

OddBoots Mon 21-Mar-16 06:42:32

The nursery probably has permission and/or public liability insurance to cover them.

fourage Mon 21-Mar-16 06:43:41

I would keep it simpler. An old fashioned picnic, bubble machine, toys, balls etc

NynaevesSister Mon 21-Mar-16 06:47:28

Around here you need to apply for a TEN - temporary event notice. I think it costs £25. There is a link on the council's website. BBQs are allowed in one park, with some restrictions (need to be off the ground). It is also possible to have a bouncy castle is some parks - again it depends on policy. Also there is a park near me where a bouncy castle is a perms ant feature in the summer and the vendor also provides bouncy castles for parties in the park.

I think you need to check the park rules and the local authority.

At one park near me for instance they actively police this at weekends and anyone with a gazebo up are asked to take it down if they don't have the TEN permit.

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 21-Mar-16 06:47:46

I would try and find out again if you're allowed a bbq else you may find someone comes along tells you to put it out.

Do you really want a free for all bouncy castle? That could be chaos. How are you going to limit numbers so children don't get hurt?

Roseberrry Mon 21-Mar-16 06:50:17

It sounds like something I would enjoy going to but hate organising!

curren Mon 21-Mar-16 06:54:26

It sounds great and fun.

However it sounds like a recipe for disaster of you don't have permission for it.

Firstly it's the equipment need for the bouncy castle, like electric. Then council permission. If you Haven't got permission, wether they just haven't got back to you or not, the bouncy castle insurance will be void.

Someone could turn up and make you all leave.

The weather could make a wash out.

How long ago did you contact the council?

I would call them and find out what you need to do.

Iwantacampervan Mon 21-Mar-16 06:54:38

The older children could bring their own outdoor things - footballs, badminton sets etc as you'll be in the park. A bouncy castle would need constant supervision but then again a football match may require a referee !

RabbitSaysWoof Mon 21-Mar-16 07:20:01

I see these all the time in my local park. Before you spend too much can you turn up at your local council office to ask about procedure in person? I think it strongly depends on where you are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now