loader

Talk

Advanced search

can a groom wear jeans to a wedding?

(101 Posts)
FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Sun 20-Mar-16 20:23:22

That's it really.
Would it be appropriate for a groom to wear:
Brown shoes, dark blue jeans white shirt and brown waistcoat for a wedding?
A bit like this?
Opinions please.

Ta

almostthirty Sun 20-Mar-16 20:24:45

It's their wedding they can wear what ever they want. But I would let guests know so they don't feel over dressed in suits.

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Mar-16 20:25:03

I was going to say it depends on whether it's a church or a registry office

But actually, those jeans just don't suit the waistcoat no matter where they are worn imo.

pookamoo Sun 20-Mar-16 20:25:35

Definitely. It would set the scene for a lovely relaxed day.

WhoisLucasHood Sun 20-Mar-16 20:26:41

I like it. There's no need for the formality that's become normal in weddings. Agree about letting the guests know.

VoldysGoneMouldy Sun 20-Mar-16 20:26:52

Can't picture any jeans working with that waistcoat tbh. More chinos or cords.

As for the style in general, totally depends on the feel of the wedding. I didn't let DH...

MaidOfStars Sun 20-Mar-16 20:27:22

Completely context-dependent.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Sun 20-Mar-16 20:27:41

Only if he wants to grin

Assuming he does, of course it's fine. i would indicate to guests if you're going more informal though.

MaidOfStars Sun 20-Mar-16 20:28:15

(And I think that waistcoat looks ace with faded jeans)

Hassled Sun 20-Mar-16 20:29:11

No. You only get married once (you hope) - surely for one day you could do better than jeans?

gunting Sun 20-Mar-16 20:29:26

Yeah he can do what he wants

Sandbrook Sun 20-Mar-16 20:30:44

He's the groom, I would say he can wear what he wants

arethereanyleftatall Sun 20-Mar-16 20:30:48

Yup, his wedding, he can wear what he wants.

Floggingmolly Sun 20-Mar-16 20:31:13

...the formality that's BECOME normal in weddings. When do you think that sea change occurred, Whois??

SqueegyBeckinheim Sun 20-Mar-16 20:31:13

If it was a very formal, high church wedding and all the ushers were wearing penguin suits, then no. If it was a more low key and dare I say funky affaire, then absolutely.

WellErrr Sun 20-Mar-16 20:31:40

I don't think they match.

The bride and groom can wear whatever they like. It's their wedding.

HOWEVER - if you are not going to adhere to usual dress codes, please make it clear on the invitations. It might make guests feel uncomfortable to be more smartly dressed than the groom.

Personally I don't like it though.

usual Sun 20-Mar-16 20:32:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pissedglitter Sun 20-Mar-16 20:34:07

He can wear what he wants but, as previously mentioned, I would let guests know

MooPointCowsOpinion Sun 20-Mar-16 20:35:39

Yes definitely. I'm all for it. But not that colour waistcoat with that colour jeans.

Floggingmolly Sun 20-Mar-16 20:36:10

How would you let guests know, without sounding like a bit of a prat? Don't bother dressing up, Charlie's only throwing on his old Levis...

Floggingmolly Sun 20-Mar-16 20:36:47

They might feel sorry for you and have a whip round !

GastonsPomPomWrath Sun 20-Mar-16 20:37:53

Mine did. With trainers, a waistcoat and a bow tie. They were designer jeans and properly tailored if that makes a difference. His groomsmen all wore similar but not matching and they looked lovely. Our son wore braces with his.

We got married in a church and had a traditional service but we still wanted to keep it relaxed and our style. It worked beautifully.

TheJiminyConjecture Sun 20-Mar-16 20:43:57

My husband wore something very similar, looked fab and very sexy.

Context - Vegas wedding, I wore a nice dress. Not weddingy though - that would have looked odd!

Muskateersmummy Sun 20-Mar-16 20:48:09

Depends on the style of wedding and the venue. For a church wedding I would say no, but an outdoor or civil relaxed place yeah why not? It would also depend on what the bride is wearing. Next to a bride in the huge white ball gown it might look a little odd.

I would agree with the folks who have said to mention the more relaxed dress code to the guests. They might feel uncomfortable being all suited and booted next to a groom in jeans.

Ps... I think the look in the photo is fab!

MrsSteptoe Sun 20-Mar-16 20:48:20

I would prefer dark jeans with that waistcoat, not faded (I don't mean black, I mean blue jeans but new ones that haven't been artificially faded). I also think it'd look dreadful with a bride in the full meringue, but could work if she's wearing something more... sleek?
I would utterly hate to see trainers on his feet because it seems to me so lacking in imagination. But I do realise I'm probably being middle-aged about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now