Talk

Advanced search

This guy should have moved, right?

(20 Posts)
Mooey89 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:01:28

Flying economy, myself and friend had middle and window seat, stranger had Aisle seat. He was already in his seat when we arrived, so we politely asked him if we could pass. Instead of getting out (right at back so plenty of room to step out to), he sort of shuffled up and tucked legs to the side. This is a strapping, 6ft something man and me, approx size 16 and not small of bottom.

A couple of hours later, I need to wee. I know this is annoying but it is part of flying right? Waited for him to wake up, tapped him on the shoulder, apologised and said Would he mind if I passed. Again. Didn't get out. Both friend and I had to essentially give him a lapdance to get out!!!!
On way back I decided enough was enough, I could be assertive, so asked firmly and politely 'could you please get out so we can get to our seats?'
Still did not move!
The man did speak English, so not a language barrier thing!
AIBU?? It was the oddest thing!

londonrach Sun 20-Mar-16 18:06:23

If he was in the seat before you arrived Maybe he is unable to stand or move. Tbh someone people stand up whilst others move whilst in the seat.

curren Sun 20-Mar-16 18:10:02

I have seen people do this all the time. A tad annoying.

Nothing majorly unusual. Planes are cramped and tight anyway.

Some people justice to want to get up. May have pain getting up or anything.

Mooey89 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:11:04

He could definitely stand and move- he got out himself a number of times.

curren Sun 20-Mar-16 18:11:05

Some people justice to want to get up. May have pain getting up or anything.

That's should say

Some people just don't want to get up. May have pain getting up or anything.

Mooey89 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:13:22

In places like cinema, theatre etc I tuck my legs in or other people do and that's fine, there's enough room normally to do it. But between his size and mine it was ridiculous!
And I specifically asked!

Squiff85 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:34:09

Sounds like he was being difficult!

Seeyounearertime Sun 20-Mar-16 18:37:58

Sounds like he was enjoying a bottom or two right in front of his face.
maybe you should have forced a little squeaky fart in his general direction the first time?
I'm fairly sure he would have moved each time after that.

CarsonTheButler Sun 20-Mar-16 18:38:14

If I get an aisle seat then I always tell the people I am sitting next to to just ask if they need to get up and I'm happy to move. If anything, it creates a bit of goodwill with those you're spending hours sharing a cramped up space with.

If I'm unlucky enough not to be on an aisle seat then I usually get up when the person in the end seat does, even when I don't necessarily need to. Saves the asking and squeezing past.

FannyFifer Sun 20-Mar-16 18:42:25

You should have just farted in his face.

CarsonTheButler Sun 20-Mar-16 18:43:47

But yes, he should have moved. Some people behave oddly on flights, though, suddenly become all entitled and behave like complete arseholes when they wouldn't dream of doing so out of an airport.

Jw35 Sun 20-Mar-16 19:08:10

Inconsiderate arse

AliceInUnderpants Sun 20-Mar-16 19:34:30

I'd have done what I do if I have to sit between my DDs in the back of the car, and squeeze past them asking "boobs, or bum?"

Osolea Sun 20-Mar-16 19:47:35

If he got himself up plenty of times, then it would probably have been good for you to take the opportunity to go to the toilet then.

I think this is just one of those things where there isn't really a right or wrong, and you just have to put up with other people's differences.

Floggingmolly Sun 20-Mar-16 19:59:12

You'd have asked him if he preferred your boobs in his face, Alice?? You're very accommodating.

Vintage45 Sun 20-Mar-16 20:03:39

You are not being unreasonable OP its part of being on an "aisle" seat. Im old and have a weak bladder so I would have barged right past him or had to sit on him and piss grin

NothingNothingTraLaLa Sun 20-Mar-16 20:30:05

The joy of flying, years ago now I had a window seat neighbour who necked two bottles of wine and then proceeded to throw himself across the other two seats to get to the aisle without warning, we would quite happily have moved to avoid him crawling over us basically!

AliceInUnderpants Sun 20-Mar-16 21:52:17

molly I like to share grin

Bickwood Sun 20-Mar-16 21:55:11

Love Mumsnet! grin

Floggingmolly Sun 20-Mar-16 21:57:40

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now