We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Design

(13 Posts)
clairemum22 Sun 20-Mar-16 16:27:11

Not an AIBU but a request for help. I have no eye for design, and our house needs updating - kitchen, bathroom, furniture, updating carpets etc. how on earth do I go about choosing stuff? I can't visualise how to make a 'put together' home - surely I can't be the only person like this. What do you do?

PurpleDaisies Sun 20-Mar-16 16:28:53

Houzz.com is brilliant for ideas, or Pinterest would probably be the same (I don't know how to use it!). I'd look for styles you like and then basically copy them.

Warning-you may lose large chunks of time browsing the Internet.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 20-Mar-16 16:31:06

buy lots of magazines and make some mood boards

AdrenalineFudge Sun 20-Mar-16 16:37:07

Also have a look on Pinterest for ideas.

sonjadog Sun 20-Mar-16 16:49:09

I have problems with this too. I get by by choosing an item I really love and then getting stuff to fit around it. Also, I take stuff back a lot.

oliviaclottedcream Sun 20-Mar-16 17:12:42

yes I second that.. Pinterest is the place to look. Ideas galore on there. It makes me a bit dizzy actually.

clairemum22 Sun 20-Mar-16 19:21:33

Thank you! I just find it all overwhelming so kind of put it off!

oliviaclottedcream Mon 21-Mar-16 10:35:25

Yes it can be, but I think the key is, don't look too much. Just pick one thing you like and stop looking for a while.

TruJay Mon 21-Mar-16 12:34:32

purple Houzz definitely, I love it and you can save pics you like to refer back to. Pinterest is great too, you can make boards, I did one for my bathroom.
I found a good way was to think of what you would like so for me it was a grey bathroom, so I'd search grey bathroom and then take ideas from all the different pics and save them to my board. This pic was my main inspiration for my new bathroom

PurpleDaisies Mon 21-Mar-16 12:36:08

That's a cool bathroom. We're moving soon and I can't wait to start decorating again.

Pollyputhtekettleon Mon 21-Mar-16 12:39:48

My best hint is don't try to match stuff! It looks so naff when cushions match the curtains etc. By all means choose a general colour theme but be loose and relaxed in applying it. All furniture does not have to be the same colour wood either. So just relax and choose things you like. Check out pinterest to keep things going in a direction you like but otherwise the only mistake you can make is to try too hard to make everything match.

scarednoob Mon 21-Mar-16 12:41:34

Are you near London? The ideal home show is on at Olympia over Easter, pop down and have a look?

oliviaclottedcream Mon 21-Mar-16 17:52:03

Oh yees ideal homes . thanks for the reminder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now