Talk

Advanced search

To be feeling old

(8 Posts)
Suddenlyfeelold Sun 20-Mar-16 12:25:55

Since my last birthday (in the autumn so not recent) I have felt old. Well, not old but definitely "not young". It's been a very sudden shift insofar as memories from my younger days (as in twenties early thirties) somehow feel very remote and not like me at all.

I'm 35 - anyone feel the same?

Euphemia Sun 20-Mar-16 13:04:36

Try being 49, menopausal, overweight and staring down the barrel of 50. sad

I keep reminding myself of the people I've known who haven't made it to 40/50. Cancer, murder, other terrible stuff.

Every day is precious. smile

Spottypjs1 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:10:55

Enjoy being in your thirties. When you are in your 40s/5os/60s etc you will always look back and wish you had enjoyed and appreciated the decade before instead of worrying about it. Growing old is not so bad if you consider the alternative.

Roonerspism Sun 20-Mar-16 13:12:40

I agree with spotty

Growing old is a privilege. I have lost friends, acquaintances and colleagues along the way - I'm only 39! I feel lucky to have got this far.

fourage Sun 20-Mar-16 13:19:55

No I don't feel the same.

I am 55, I can run 10K, I am a comfortable size 10, bank managers don't scare me any more, I am having the best sex of my life.

At 35 I hadn't even met the father of my children yet.

You need to put your positive specs on frankly.

magimedi Sun 20-Mar-16 13:23:05

I am 60+ & can honestly say that these are the best years of my life.

lorelei9 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:23:58

I definitely feel the past is extremely remote - even things from my mid 20s seem like another planet. (I'm 40).

but I don't mind it. Partly because the bank manager doesn't scare me any more, partly because I enjoy my life much more, partly because I don't worry about stuff that used to bug me immensely.

but the fact of the gap of time, of looking at stuff that happened years ago and thinking I feel totally disconnected from it, doesn't bother me.

fourage Sun 20-Mar-16 13:25:04

magimedi, good to hear that. I am certainly finding that about my life too. Each decade is better that the last! My 50s are the best years so far, good to know my 60s will be even better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now