To want to do a degree in education...but not wanting to become a teacher?

(4 Posts)
cardboardboxx Sat 19-Mar-16 20:04:46

I'm 26 with dcs age 5 and 3. I am qualified as a nursery nurse level 3 but have not been in education since i was 18. I have been a sahm for the past 3 years. I am itching to get back into work and/or education.

I have just been offered some voluntary work at my dcs school one day a week and it's made me realise how much i miss the classroom setting! But i have looked into teaching and i think it would be too much while my children are so young still. I really want to do some kind of degree that puts me in a better position to be employed in a school setting but i don't even know where to begin. I have briefly looked at open university courses.

Is it worth doing a ou degree or similar, but not with the ambition of becoming a teacher? Thank you smile

MegGriffin Sat 19-Mar-16 20:21:30

I work in a school and am studying a BA childhood and youth studies with OU. I do not want to become a teacher so have chosen this route as it interests me and informs my practice/understanding of children.

ilikebaking Sat 19-Mar-16 20:25:46

If you ever decide to become a teacher, having an ou degree will help. As you can do your pace.
Lord knows what will happen to teaching in the next five years anyway.

TeaBelle Sat 19-Mar-16 20:28:31

OU courses are expensive. Unless you can afford it without worrying at all about that money, I would want to know if the course would help. A course specifically geared towards teaching assistants may be more relevant. Of course if teaching isn't for you right now but is a longer term aim then spreading the training out over a long period shouldn't be an issue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now