River Island baby clothes

(57 Posts)
orangepudding Sat 19-Mar-16 20:03:17

I popped into River Island with my DDs today. While there I looked at the baby clothes, to me they looked so uncomfortable and inappropriate for babies.

To me this jacket is awful - www.riverisland.com/girls/mini-girls/baby-girls-coats--jackets/mini-girls-black-biker-jacket-815687. The fur was coming off in my hands so other than it looking really uncomfortable it looked unsafe too.

AIBU in thinking that the type of clothes they sell are not right for babies or am I old fashioned in my views that baby clothes should be made from natural fabrics, soft and machine washable.

nephrofox Sat 19-Mar-16 20:04:57

Agree it's hideous.

I guess there must be a market or they wouldn't make them?

squoosh Sat 19-Mar-16 20:05:22

How does it look unsafe? confused

Do you think it will turn its wearer into a mini hell's angel?

TeaBelle Sat 19-Mar-16 20:05:55

If you dislike them then they are wrong for your baby. What other parents choose to buy/dress their child in is up to them

orangepudding Sat 19-Mar-16 20:06:12

Unsafe because the fluff from the collar was coming off when I touched it.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 19-Mar-16 20:07:34

That is hideous.

if the furs coming out its not even de enter quality.

if yku ate sleep ding 40 quid on an item. of baby clothing it needs to gave something besides a label going for it.

quality
fit
comfort

etc

OhShutUpThomas Sat 19-Mar-16 20:07:48

Hideous.

Most of it looks quite uncomfortable and not my taste at all.

TeaBelle Sat 19-Mar-16 20:08:03

Also, I don't know how old your baby is, but I would estimate that about quaternary of dd's diet is fluff pulled from God knows where

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 19-Mar-16 20:08:05

decent

are spending

ffs phone blush

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 19-Mar-16 20:08:22

I've found that River Island just makes smaller adult clothes for children.

Not a problem for little boys, the range is quite nice.

The girls range however - bodycon pencil skirts, faux leather leggings, shedding faux fur collars. It's not good, broadly speaking.

OhShutUpThomas Sat 19-Mar-16 20:08:26

*if you are spending Giles? grin

diploddycus Sat 19-Mar-16 20:09:15

I think the OP means unsafe as in the baby might inhale/eat the fur? Is that not why some plush toys are for 1 year+ or 3 years+?

I would like to think that River Island baby clothes meet safety standards even if they're not to my taste.

VagueIdeas Sat 19-Mar-16 20:09:38

Ew, it starts at size 0-3 months?

I've never been a fan of dressing babies and children as mini adults - but lots of people do.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 19-Mar-16 20:09:51

I'm. clearly spending 4p quid on wine instead grin

this phone likes to embarrass me

Ilovenannyplum Sat 19-Mar-16 20:10:40

My DS has a few bits from river island's baby range. I quite like them, the boys stuff is better than the girls imo

Awaits flaming....

CakeNinja Sat 19-Mar-16 20:11:29

Well it's not to my taste either for a tiny baby but my dds (10 and 11) have chosen themselves some nice enough clothes from there.

orangepudding Sat 19-Mar-16 20:16:19

The mini boys clothes are much nicer and look more practical than the baby girls clothes.

Both my daughters have some nice clothes from there. It's just the girls baby clothes I really didn't like especially for newborns.

Sparklycat Sat 19-Mar-16 20:24:26

Who on earth would pay £40 for that jacket for a small baby? confused

gunting Sat 19-Mar-16 20:31:07

My DS has a jumper from river island which someone bought for him and he looks cute in it.

I had a look at the rest of the range because this one jumper is nice. Turns out the jumper was a one off because why would anyone want to dress a small baby like a member of One Direction? confused

JuniorMint Sat 19-Mar-16 20:37:36

I'm a nursery teacher and one little three year old regularly comes in wearing these- www.riverisland.com/girls/footwear/boots/girls-black-zip-trim-ankle-boots-814357 River Island Kids high heeled boots.

I lend her a pair of spare green wellies.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 19-Mar-16 20:41:52

how is she supposed to run and play in those sad

the heel looks really badly glued doesn't look well made at all

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 19-Mar-16 20:43:15

Sadly, they have a big market for young teen mums who like to dress their baby's exactly like themselves. It's hugely profitable. I was hoping it's go the way of their previous baby ranges...

Still, I guess it's up to individual parents how they dress their child, and River Island would probably say it's up to the purchaser to ensure items are safe too.

The tiny high heels make me saddest!

Brummiegirl15 Sat 19-Mar-16 20:47:17

That is hideous!

I also don't like dressing babies as mini adults either but I do appreciate its a very personal opinion

Becca83 Sat 19-Mar-16 20:49:50

I always think it's inspired by North West. That poor kid always looks uncomfortable.

squoosh Sat 19-Mar-16 20:51:17

I didn't even know River Island did kids' clothes. Is this a new thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now