Talk

Advanced search

To think the NCT should not be promoting Vagisil?

(103 Posts)
ifigoup Sat 19-Mar-16 12:30:55

I've just been at an NCT Nearly New sale to buy baby clothes etc. I'm pregnant with DC1, not an NCT member, and this was the first time I'd been.

On the way in I was given a goody bag containing free samples of nappy cream, baby bubble bath etc. I didn't actually look at any of it until after I'd left. When I got home I was shocked to discover that among the samples was a bottle of "feminine wash".

I always thought the NCT was pro-women and their bodies. Why on earth would they be giving out something that's unnecessary at best, harmful to the natural balance of your body, and perpetuates the idea that female genitalia are dirty???

breezydoesit Sat 19-Mar-16 12:37:53

Oh my god. You don't get out much do you? Get a life.

AdrenalineFudge Sat 19-Mar-16 12:40:23

When I got home I was shocked

That gave me a good laugh. Shocked, really?

ifigoup Sat 19-Mar-16 12:43:34

Okay, "shocked" was hyperbole. Seriously, though?!

DoSomethingKirsty Sat 19-Mar-16 12:43:50

Do you ever wash?

megletthesecond Sat 19-Mar-16 12:44:58

Yanbu. No one needs that stuff.

SheHasAWildHeart Sat 19-Mar-16 12:45:08

hmm

zaryiah Sat 19-Mar-16 12:45:46

YABU. They probably just chucked it in there.

dontpokethebear Sat 19-Mar-16 12:46:13

Um, right. You sound like you'd fit right in with the NCT lot grin

YakTriangle Sat 19-Mar-16 12:46:59

I seriously doubt they gave it that much thought. It's something to chuck in the bag. You don't have to use it if you object and neither does anyone else.

Squeegle Sat 19-Mar-16 12:47:59

I agree with you OP. It's not good stuff. Worth mentioning your concerns to NCT. There is a whole industry out there dedicated to encouraging us to make our feminine parts smell like boudoirs. And actually... If they smell a bit odd, we should go to the doctor rather than get the smell masked. So YANBU!

NeedACleverNN Sat 19-Mar-16 12:49:24

Have you ever smelt the lochea? (The blood after giving birth that lasts up to a month)

It smells. Like really bad.

Some women may want to freshen up down there after birth.

I'm sure nct would rather they use femfresh than soap

embroideredbee Sat 19-Mar-16 12:50:25

hmm ring 101

ctjoy103 Sat 19-Mar-16 12:55:22

So you were given something for free which you have the choice not to use and you have the audacity to cry about it. Pass it on to someone or throw it away, Yabvu.

FayKorgasm Sat 19-Mar-16 12:57:56

Freshen up with a bit of warm water on the area, not by using a fanny wash which will wash away the good bacteria which keeps things as they should be.
Throw it in the bin.

curren Sat 19-Mar-16 12:58:15

Why is vagisil not pro women and their bodies?

Jengnr Sat 19-Mar-16 12:59:08

Who would you pass feminine wash onto??? grinconfused

VoldysGoneMouldy Sat 19-Mar-16 13:00:39

YANBU. Completely agree with you. If they're going to give out those bags, they need to be more careful with product selection.

Kpo58 Sat 19-Mar-16 13:00:46

Send the sample back to them with a letter of complain on how it degrades women? They were probably paid to give it away as a free sample by the company.

When I hear Vagisil, I always think of the South Park episode.

BillSykesDog Sat 19-Mar-16 13:03:36

Perhaps the NCT credit adult women with the ability to make their own informed choices?

FayKorgasm Sat 19-Mar-16 13:05:04

curren Its the message that a womans vagina and its natural healthy odour is dirty and smelly. So they buy this crap to wash it. A clean face cloth and some warm water on the outside parts is sufficent.

curren Sat 19-Mar-16 13:05:15

Send the sample back to them with a letter of complain on how it degrades women?

can someone explain this?

It's a hygiene product. Either use it or don't. I can't see how it's offensive to women.

HorraceTheOtter Sat 19-Mar-16 13:07:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curren Sat 19-Mar-16 13:08:12

curren Its the message that a womans vagina and its natural healthy odour is dirty and smelly. So they buy this crap to wash it. A clean face cloth and some warm water on the outside parts is sufficent.

Is deodorant offensive to people then?

I can't get upset about this. It's a product. Some women want to use it. Some don't.

Some products don't fill a need. I have never seen a vagisil advert and been offended or shocked. Apart from straight after labour, I can say I have noticed a bad smell from mine.

Women should be allowed to use their own minds and choose what products we want to use on our bodies.

It's a product that is available to buy, here is a sample. Don't se the problem.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 19-Mar-16 13:13:37

"Freshen up with a bit of warm water on the area, not by using a fanny wash which will wash away the good bacteria which keeps things as they should be."

The good bacteria which keep things as they should be are inside the vagina. So long as you wash the external parts only with soap, water, shower gel or one of these feminine washes you won't be washing anything vital away. I quite like those washes, normal soap irritates my nethers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now