aibu to take the phone back?

(21 Posts)
PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 12:52:47

I have 2 friends called s and z and s & i wanted to help z out as shes been having a crappy time with one of her other friends who wanted her phone back and that argument got heated. I kept out of it.
My aibu is that i put her on my phone contract and her share of the contract is £13 a month and she uses my data and has a phone through it too. She owes me £5 that i gave her for gas and i havent had that back despite her being paid on monday. And today when i said about the bill i got but i dont get paid til the 29th and the bill is due the 24th. I feel that as its in my name and i will be liable for the cost if not paid that if i dont get the money for thursday that im taking the phone back. Aibu?

bollocksontheinternet Fri 18-Mar-16 12:53:43

Erm - what?

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 12:56:40

She has been added to my contract but is being flakey in regards to payment and if i dont recieve her share of the bill i was going to take the phone back

blindsider Fri 18-Mar-16 12:59:31

If she is flakey with money don't get involved.

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:04:20

She is already on it sad i was trying to help but ive learned a harsh lesson here

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 18-Mar-16 13:05:45

If the contract is in your name, just get the phone comoany to disable her sim?

MartinaJ Fri 18-Mar-16 13:08:09

Take her off your contract, cut your losses and move. She's not your friend, she's a sponger.

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:08:19

I phoned up and they said that its possible to suspend her line if she doesnt pay and blacklist the phone so another sim card cant be used

Spartak Fri 18-Mar-16 13:08:31

How are you helping her out by making her pay part of your phone bill when she clearly can't afford it?

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:09:37

martina i cant get out of it as it was taken out instore. I thought she was a good friend as well but ive been proven wrong big time

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:10:52

spartak its an ee shared plan. I have my own bill and hers is a seperate bill but its under my contract if that makes sense?

Spartak Fri 18-Mar-16 13:15:17

Did you offer to put her on your contract or did she ask you? Maybe she thought it was a gift to help her out?

lamiashiro Fri 18-Mar-16 13:16:56

I would not have another person on my mobile phone contract. I found out the hard way when ex DP ran up a huge bill that I was ultimately responsible for it.

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:18:02

She had been hinting at going on it and id explained how it all worked and she seemed happy enough with it. Ive just had a message to say shes booked a holiday for october. Im rather annoyed

Jackie0 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:22:40

Get the sim and phone disabled.
Change the tariff to the cheapest one if not already on it.
Give notice to cancel contract one month before the end of the contract period.
Do you know you can get another sim issued with her number ?
If you had a spare phone it would be a way of at least using the minutes or data that you're paying for every month.

DamsenBerry Fri 18-Mar-16 13:22:53

I know what you mean about the shared ee plan, I was going to do one myself. Unfortunately it sounds like you've learnt the hard way that some friends are shown up to be not that great, once money is involved. If I were you, I'd go down the route of blacklisting the phone like you mentioned. Maybe you could offer the second line to a trusted family member instead?

Barmaid101 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:25:47

She obviously can't manage her finances why would you put her on your bill. Surely pay as you go would have been the best option then you wouldn't be in this situation

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:26:59

damsen s our friend who was with me when i got it has said she would be more than happy to take it over

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 18-Mar-16 13:28:32

I phoned up and they said that its possible to suspend her line if she doesnt pay and blacklist the phone so another sim card cant be used

So do that. And if you're worried about it, act innocent when her phone stops working.

PainAuChocolat23 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:30:01

Thats my plan of action. Im not going to mention it to her again and wait to see what happens on thursday whether i get the money or not

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Fri 18-Mar-16 14:17:15

I've been in the position of having to borrow small amounts from a friend, and always always always paid her back the day I got paid.

Your friend is struggling to manage her finances but she clearly sees you as one of those bills that can "wait", the problem is that you disagree with that attitude (as most people would!) and want her debt to you to be a priority.

Cancel the add on bill thingy as soon as you can. It's not just s one off missed payment, it's her whole attitude to owing you money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now