Talk

Advanced search

To not have a clue what to get DD1 for her 17th birthday?

(27 Posts)
liz70 Fri 18-Mar-16 12:25:03

I really am at a loss. She's not particularly girly, more practical, has all the usual teenage stuff - phone, TV, PlayStation, study desk etc. Plenty of make up which she wears every now and then. Lots of clothes. Suggested a course of driving lessons but she's unsure just now. I just can't think!!

defineme Fri 18-Mar-16 12:29:06

Festival/gig/concert/theatre tickets?
Spa day/adventure activity day
Weekend away?
Camera
Pet?

Pinkheart5915 Fri 18-Mar-16 12:30:09

I was going to say driving lessons but I see you say she isn't sure now.

Have you looked on notonethehighstreet.com they do some nice things.

Could you pay for her to go for a meal or day out of her choice with some friends?

pinkyredrose Fri 18-Mar-16 12:30:47

Not a pet! An activity day?

BestZebbie Fri 18-Mar-16 12:36:06

Can you give her a budget and ask her for ideas?

liz70 Fri 18-Mar-16 12:41:03

Thanks for the suggestions. She already has a pretty fancy camera from my parents as she's keen on photography. Can't have a pet in her room as she has fur allergy/sensitivity.

I was thinking of meal with friends for the actual day but was wondering what to get as actual present iyswim.

MrsJayy Fri 18-Mar-16 12:41:07

Provisional ? Least if she isnt keen on lessons just now she has it useful to have

CherryPlum Fri 18-Mar-16 12:44:38

Depends how much you want to spend?

Does she like reading? How about a Kindle and vouchers for books. Or

- A few months worth of cinema subscription, i.e. where you get unlimited viewing
- Ice skating lessons
- Sewing machine/sewing lessons and fabrics
- Money
- new watch
- handbag

BadDoGooder Fri 18-Mar-16 12:53:05

Is she into music?
Because when I was her age (we sound very similar) I'd have loved tickets to a festival or gig!
If she's anything like I was, jewellery and clothes would go down less well than a gig!

Basketofchocolate Fri 18-Mar-16 12:53:16

Photography course? They must do a weekend day long course somewhere?

Or yes, just an experience. I would say something grown up - afternoon tea or something? Just her and you or Dad or boyfriend?

Railcard? smile Just thinking that I was always trying to get as far away as possible with my mates at the weekend so relied on the train to explore.

Waterstones supermarket sweep? Take her along with a budget and spend the time with her deciding what to buy?

One thing, if she's DD1, make sure if there are others to come through this, they may be expecting the same when they reach that age.

MrsJayy Fri 18-Mar-16 12:59:05

I got 1 of mine a cinema subscription for her 16th was appreciated

hellsbellsmelons Fri 18-Mar-16 13:20:13

It was my DD 18th a little while ago and I got her a rose gold watch and had it engraved.
May be a bit much for 17th though?
I agree with notonthehighstreet
You can get some great ideas from there.

5Foot5 Fri 18-Mar-16 13:23:33

When DD was 17 we got her a ukelele.

(It was at her request!)

HermioneJeanGranger Fri 18-Mar-16 13:40:21

It depends what your budget is. What about any of the following:

Tickets to see a show, plus dinner/a night in a hotel.
Shopping trip to London/nearest big city.
Laptop/TV/iPod/PS4.
Provisional license.
Spa day, pedicure, posh haircut or something similar.

Dixiebell Sat 19-Mar-16 08:35:37

I think at that age I often just got given cash to spend on what I wanted!

Horsemad Sat 19-Mar-16 08:48:45

Mine both had driving lessons. It's a life skill!

ChrissyHynde Sat 19-Mar-16 08:54:46

My DD is 17 soon and the plan is a watch of her choice and driving lessons

scarednoob Sat 19-Mar-16 09:03:57

I really really didn't want driving lessons for my 17th, but my mum insisted, and I loved it. Could she have a play in someone's car on private land or something that might give her a taste so she can get an idea of it, or has she done that already?

Is she having a car/being insured on yours? I wasn't keen because most of my friends were having their own cars and my dad said I was spoiled enough. In the end he bought me an old beetle, which I loved, and it totally changed my mind as then I saw the point of learning. I've always loved driving ever since - to this day i love a nice drive with the car and music all to myself!!

If she decides not, I think an experience day might be a good one that she will always remember - is she into any particular sport or activity? Iwantoneofthose.com
does a good range, things like spy academies, archery etc, and she could take a couple of friends? Or even though she's not girly, is there any jewellery she would like?

scarednoob Sat 19-Mar-16 09:05:39

The gig idea is a good one, if there is anyone playing this year that she likes. Or if you live near enough, something like V festival, so she can see lots of different bands.

Ifailed Sat 19-Mar-16 09:08:17

a bike/moped?

sashh Sat 19-Mar-16 10:15:33

Avenue Q is on tour - I bought my niece tickets a few years ago and it was well received.

Editing software for her photography?

Birdsgottafly Sat 19-Mar-16 10:24:59

I buy tickets as a present for my now 18 DD, I used to arrange weekends away, where I didn't go to the show, but was in the same city.

Is there anything that she likes that's a bit more of a luxury item?

My DD had wanted a leather satchel, her style is 'Rock Chick/Gothy', I got her a DM one for Christmas.

Cliffdiver Sat 19-Mar-16 10:29:50

Some of her photography printed on a canvas?

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 19-Mar-16 10:33:40

Only my 17th birthday present was non negotiable - driving lessons. Im so so pleased they were forced onto me. It is an important and expensive life skill and at 17 the brain just gets it much quicker (if watching my 30yo husband try and learn is any sort of data!)

sashh Sat 19-Mar-16 10:40:27

Only my 17th birthday present was non negotiable - driving lessons. Im so so pleased they were forced onto me.

It was forced on me too - so I just did the lessons and deliberately did not learn anything. I hated it and I still hate driving. I eventually passed my test aged 21 when I wanted to pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now