To think wokey hole is too expensive and the discounts aren't great

(22 Posts)
feellikeahugefailure Fri 18-Mar-16 10:48:09

MIL has invited us to go, and sadly we just can't afford it.

15.73 * 2 for adults
11.90 * 2 for children

So just under 60 pounds. It's too much for us.

Just to rub salt in the wound MIL isn't short of a bob and gets it for 13.60.

SIL and her family gets adults half price as they work for the police (back office) and children get free entry with BP badge. So for them is less than 20 for the same number of people, and they are quite well off.

I'm on JSA and get no discount.

Obviously we need to sort out the badges. But still its upsetting that we can't afford to go.

Is it really that good? Or just a tacky day out?

JeanSeberg Fri 18-Mar-16 10:48:49

You're not missing anything at all.

feellikeahugefailure Fri 18-Mar-16 10:50:16

Thanks Jean, just what I wanted to hear!

MrsJayy Fri 18-Mar-16 10:50:56

Isnt it just caves thats really expensive get the in
Aws to take them

MrsJayy Fri 18-Mar-16 10:52:28

We drove up once and turned round its a cave we really couldnt be bothered bet its cold and smelly

Sunnymeg Fri 18-Mar-16 11:28:58

Wookey is quite local to us, so in theory we should have been to it lots of times. DS is 14 and we have been once, since he was born . I think that says it all.

Kpo58 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:34:09

I'd just tell them that "My children would love to go, but I cannot afford the entrance fees". Nothing like emotional blackmail and making them feel bad when they go without you. Maybe it would make them think of more affordable things to do as a family in the future.

Funnyfive Fri 18-Mar-16 11:36:32

It's quite local to me too, I've been twice recently on the cheap Christmas deal, it wasn't even really worth that deal either!

The caves freak me right out and the rest is very tired and basically a bit crap, definitely not worth £60!

ILeaveTheRoomForTwoMinutes Fri 18-Mar-16 11:51:51

I found this if it helps?

www.letsgowiththechildren.co.uk/Wookey-Hole-Somerset-Family-Discount-Voucher.aspx?skipmobiledetection=true

It looks like you should get in for around £30, adults pay, DC free.

I know £30 is still a lot when things are tight.

ihateminecraft Fri 18-Mar-16 12:03:52

Just found my confirmation from when we went on Halloween 2012. We paid a special "Halloween Rate" of £10.80 each (2 adults, 2 kids) obviously it may have gone up since then but I remember thinking it was a reasonable price. We had an enjoyable day. We liked the caves and they had special Halloween stuff on. It was packed, pissing with rain and the main building was a bit arcade-ish, but the kids liked it. Do they accept Tesco vouchers?

BestZebbie Fri 18-Mar-16 12:42:21

I lived within walking distance of Wookey Hole Caves in the 90s and it was extremely expensive then, too!
Can your inlaws take the kids without you? It is a good day out (the first 15 times...), not only is there the cave system (all lit up, with bridges to cross over chasms etc) but also the papermill and the victorian funfair - I think they have added fibreglass dinosaurs in the valley on the way up now as well.

RockUnit Fri 18-Mar-16 12:58:02

It has always been expensive for what it is.

ChessieFL Fri 18-Mar-16 12:59:41

You can use Tesco club card days out vouchers there. Not worth full price.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 18-Mar-16 13:04:03

It's crap, not worth it anywa py.

The caves are ok but the rest has a really neglected feel about it.

Cheddar gorge is well worth it imo, you get much more for your money.

feellikeahugefailure Fri 18-Mar-16 13:04:44

Ooh I'm jealous of you lot in the Wells area (just posted a message in property about wells)!envy

Looks like mostly bad reviews for the place, thanks for the voucher however from what people say its not even worth 30, the fibre glass dishwashers aren't selling it - and I love the ones in crystal palace.

What was the xmas offer?

I would give them the choice to just take the DC, but its our one day a week we all have together, so don't want to give it up.

PegsPigs Fri 18-Mar-16 13:18:48

We've just come back from there and got the online book in advance discount because we left it too late to trade in Clubcard points. The Tesco route is definitely the best value way of going. We had 2 adults, 2 OAPs and 2 under 3 (err not quite a week past her 3rd birthday so nearly!) & it was £58.66 which isn't cheap but it was a full day out.

HereComesYourMam Fri 18-Mar-16 13:25:33

The caves are pretty cool, the rest is just... weird.

Boysdontcry Fri 18-Mar-16 13:29:48

We went last summer. Was gobsmacked at how much they charged to get in. The caves were ok but the rest was utter crap.If there was anything I would tell people not to bother with, this tops my list!

Quillered Fri 18-Mar-16 13:35:18

Our family went recently. We really enjoyed it. The caves are good fun (though more big than spectacular). The rest of the entertainments were fun in a wacky kind of way. And there was a circus show put on by children, which was great for my DCs. There's quite a lot to it and we would definitely go again, but you need to be open to the old-fashioned wackiness of the experience. You could just send your DCs and you and DH stay at home?

eatsleephockeyrepeat Fri 18-Mar-16 13:35:41

I like Wookey Hole, but have never been with anyone other than a partner, or I've been paid for when I was a child.

I would go now as I like that weird fortune telling machine like the one from "Big" but only if we were on holiday in the area. We always set aside some holiday money for tacky, overpriced and unnecessary keepsakes and activities; makes us feel like we're really letting loose.

In your case I wouldn't go and tell your fam it's extortionate.

Cheddar Gorge is slightly cheaper.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 18-Mar-16 15:18:54

Their cave aged cheddar cheese is amazing. But you can be that in waitrose and the coop so no need to travel all the way theregrin

I'd return to cheddar gorge but never to Wookey hole unless I was laid!

Feckthefeckoff Fri 18-Mar-16 17:09:17

Go to Cheddar Gorge, much better than the very odd Wookey Hole. Not worth paying all that money for particularly if it's a bit of a treat when money is tight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now