Talk

Advanced search

No call out charge?

(6 Posts)
GinThief Thu 17-Mar-16 15:33:56

Our oven has been playing up, didnt get hot at lunchtime. Tried again but no luck. Called out company that advertises "no call out charge guaranteed" on website. Guy comes out, plays with oven for 5 mins, says there is nothing wrong with oven and I must have just been unlucky earlier hmm

And then he hands me a bill for £48 for "labour" ... AIBU to refuse to pay this as it says no call out charge?

OzzieFem Fri 18-Mar-16 07:56:59

I think you'll find that labour charge is for the 5 mins of fiddling. Call out charges should be itemised separately. I wonder what the hourly rate is?

Ifailed Fri 18-Mar-16 08:18:17

I imagine they will argue that he started working on your oven for that 5 minutes, and hidden away in their T&Cs is a statement that you pay for the 1st hour (or whatever) if you agree to them starting.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 18-Mar-16 08:22:05

I wouldn't pay as it's not been 'fixed'. I would say something like 'if it works when I turn it on for the next week then I will pay the invoice as I expect it to actually work not just be lucky'.

Then I'd pay in a week if it worked. They can't force you to pay unless they take you to court which isn't going to happen in the next week.

maydancer Fri 18-Mar-16 08:23:46

What the heck? How is an oven unlucky? There is an intermittent fault

HermioneJeanGranger Fri 18-Mar-16 12:43:35

The labour charge will be the five minutes of tinkering he did, a call-out charge is what you pay to have them visit in the first place, but I wouldn't be paying anything until my oven was fixed if I were you - unlucky oven my arse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now