Talk

Advanced search

To think that I can stay sane as a single working mum?

(3 Posts)
onmission Thu 17-Mar-16 13:55:39

I'm so tired of being stuck in this constant limbo of working full time, looking after my 2 DDs singlehandedly and managing everything else on top of it. Surely there must be a way of combining single parenting and work, and actually have some free time (or am I being completely delusional?). Anyone around with some time management tips?

momb Thu 17-Mar-16 14:03:10

I have another husband now but get lots less done compared than when I was single: as a single parents you get to make all the decisions so do what works for you and hang everyone else.
What worked for me: getting up 30 mins before the kids and getting myself ready, the breakfast out and a wash on before I woke them.
I bought a basic Roomba (not programmable) and set it going every morning as we walked out the door: the floor had to be clear so it could pootle round. I did downstairs one day and upstairs the next: then brushed the stair carpet with a stiff brush. Stick a load of washing on as you leave
Lay out clothes, check and rub round bathrooms immediately before bed every night. Spend early evening with kids/cooking, then 30 mins after they've gone to bed on washing up/clearing up./wiping/dusting/hanging up the washing from the machine. I had to work for a couple of hours in the evenings often, but if you don't do that then you have time for social media/watching a movie etc.
I just found that it was easier to slot in a few 10 min jobs every day rather than going at it like a bull.
This leaves almost all the weekends free for family and friends.

Micah Thu 17-Mar-16 14:09:04

Do you have the spare cash for a cleaner? Makes a massive difference to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now