Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit annoyed at the dental practice?

(5 Posts)
EduCated Wed 16-Mar-16 16:52:05

I've recently moved and have had to find a new dentists. Tried two who aren't taking new NHS patients. Found a third, was able to book online and selected new patient and an NHS appointment. All went through, have had two reminders.

Turn up today to be told I'm being seen as a private patient as they're not taking new NHS patients.

AIBU to be a bit pissed off that they didn't tell me this before I turn up, and that the website gave no hint that this was the case?

The checkup is the same price, but presumably any follow up treatment wouldn't be. When I questioned it their only answer was that I didn't have to keep the appointment, but given that I've arranged time off work to be here I can't really faff about.

Arghh angry Have I got any hope of finding an NHS place?!

RatherBeRiding Wed 16-Mar-16 17:03:26

NHS dentristry is a nightmare. If you really don't want private, then I believe you can phone your local NHS Commissioning Group [or whatever it is called at the moment] who will find you one. Not guaranteed to be convenient to get to though.

When I moved I rang round and found a private dentist about a 20 minute drive away. Good dentist, lovely staff. But after a recurrent tooth infection I gave up and went private again after having to literally plead with the receptionist to squeeze me in as an emergency for some antibiotics.

Your only option might be to ring and ring and ring round local practices until you find one that is genuinely taking NHS patients once you've had your check-up.

It is very annoying though and I sympathise!

EduCated Wed 16-Mar-16 17:07:24

Yeah, I think I may just have to accept going private, just annoyed that I feel like I've been duped into it a bit.

EduCated Wed 16-Mar-16 17:09:41

Aaaaand I've been sat here 30 mins past my appointment time.

Heatherjayne1972 Wed 16-Mar-16 21:53:56

That's Naughty If I was you I would complain They must have a complaints procedure - you should have been made aware whether was private or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now