to think Nationwide are bloody awful :-(

(16 Posts)
Auti Wed 16-Mar-16 14:18:58

So I get a letter from Nationwide saying they are reducing our overdraft. OK.

So I phone them immediately to come to some arrangement as bills will not be paid if its just cut off if its done in a couple of weeks time.

I asked could we come to some arrangement to reduce it monthly by a set amount.
The handler says we need to go through an affordability check. Ok I thought.

She then spent ages asking me about the minutiae of every payment on two accounts and the mortgage She went through every payment, every direct debit, right down making me explain what the payment for 10 pounds to the Children's Trust Fund was for,. It was utterly humiliating and left me tears.

In the end she said I could reduce the fucking overdraft by 100 pounds a month which was what I suggested in the first place.

Absolutely horrible, I feel violated.

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 16-Mar-16 14:26:16

Tears? Violated? Ffs. Overreacting, much? Of course they have to question you if they're renegotiating a loan, which is what an overdraft is.

Headdesk Wed 16-Mar-16 14:27:19

I don't think she was trying to make you feel uncomfortable on purpose, it's her job to do all those checks, I had to explain to them why there were so many transactions to the pub (student) grin

Auti Wed 16-Mar-16 14:29:31

Tears? Violated? Ffs. Overreacting, much?

Thanks for that.
I have high functioning autism/aspergers

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 16-Mar-16 14:31:30

Then why not mention that initially.

Headdesk Wed 16-Mar-16 14:31:34

*Thanks for that.
I have high functioning autism/aspergers*

You didn't mention that before so going by your op then that would seem like over reacting to a reader.
But it's over and done with now so try not to worry or think about it.

Tiggeryoubastard Wed 16-Mar-16 14:32:42

Because those are over reactions for a NT person. So without the drip feed it just comes across as a bizarre reaction.

EponasWildDaughter Wed 16-Mar-16 14:36:06

They're a business. It would have been the same with any bank/building soc.

I had to ring the council a couple of years ago about delaying our monthly council tax payment for a few days. I ended up obviously in tears on the phone explaining how we'd hit hard times recently and would have no money till the following week, but would pay it - we've never missed a payment - and the cow woman simply went quiet and then said she'd send a letter putting £70 court charges on top of the payment. Nice. I do sympathise OP.

SisterMoonshine Wed 16-Mar-16 14:37:26

You are going to get this all the time when you borrow from financial institutions. (I know)

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Wed 16-Mar-16 14:53:23

Yabu for the drip feed but yanbu nationwide are shit, I deal with them as part of my job, and am no longer surprised when they don't understand their own products and can't even give the format of customers accounts correctly

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 16-Mar-16 15:01:11

Unfortunately, with overdrafts they are liable to reduce it when the review the account. I've had it done before years ago.

Thats according to my mum, who has work for them for over 20 years.

bluestarred Wed 16-Mar-16 15:15:21

It happened to us few years ago. We had a letter to state that our overdraft facility was being removed altogether and we had 28 days to pay off our £800 overdraft. The letter took a week to arrive ffs which left us 3 weeks to find £800.

It was crap and very stressful, but sadly it's life and they're a business.

AMouseLivedinaWindMill Wed 16-Mar-16 15:33:17

First Direct op, MUCH BETTER I have been with nationwide for years, sluggish - dreadful, FD are BRILLIANT and lots of others think so too, in any bank threads loads of people rave about them.

AMouseLivedinaWindMill Wed 16-Mar-16 15:34:40

Op dont worry about the "violated" comments to your op, you will notice some posters try and get this in on every post.

Fidelia Wed 16-Mar-16 15:55:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

U2HasTheEdge Wed 16-Mar-16 16:04:33

I have a credit card with them. Last month I set up a direct debit to pay off a certain amount a month and I would then pay more on top as and when.

Direct debit date came and went with no money taken out. I called them the next day to ask why the payment hadn't gone out and they told me there was a note on my file saying that when they set up my direct debit over the phone the system crashed and they were meant to call me back to do it again. Then they charged me a late payment fee even though it was their bloody fault the payment was late.. bastards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now