Talk

Advanced search

To worry about disappearing leg hair?

(35 Posts)
ingeniousidiot Wed 16-Mar-16 11:52:01

I'm 44 and last summer was shaving my legs as usual. They've had a winter under wraps, and went to shave them last night (holiday in the sun next week) and there's nothing there. Should I be worried or is at an age thing? I know that I've snipped a couple of rogue long ones over winter, but can't have been more than 5.

I think my pits may be a little more sparse than they used to be, but eyesight fuzzy so not 100% sure. Is less body hair a 'thing' or is something wrong? And if it is a thing, how have I not heard of it before now?

ANewIdentitytoJazzItUpABit Wed 16-Mar-16 12:01:01

Could be hormonal.
I'm 31 and mixed race - through my teens and twenties my leg hair was very apparent: long, thick, fast growing and I shaved all the way up to the tops of my thighs.
I'm pregnant now and my leg hair is non existing. I honestly don't shave for weeks in between and my legs are smooth. When it does eventually grow back, it grows extremely sparse and very fine. No hairs on thighs now either. confused i reckon it's hormones. (pubic hair still grows at normal rate and thickness though, oh well)

Wolpertinger Wed 16-Mar-16 12:03:08

My mum definitely has none but when it disappeared I don't know but it is an age thing. The whole lot goes, legs, underarms, pubes, everything.

MNetter15 Wed 16-Mar-16 12:05:02

It's happened to me too. Hair on legs pretty much stopped growing completely but now I have to deal with a beard chin hair 😩

ratspeaker Wed 16-Mar-16 12:06:09

Give it time. They are working their way up and will appear om your chin very soon

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Wed 16-Mar-16 12:08:16

gringrin My leg hair also went from legs to chin in my mid-forties! It sucks roasted donkey balls but I believe it is fairly common in women of a certain age angry

ifcatscouldtalk Wed 16-Mar-16 12:16:16

Feeling peeved that I have the leg hair / chin hair combo. Surely one or the other?? grin

IceBeing Wed 16-Mar-16 12:19:17

ohh my legs are going the other way. They are all furry and fluffy now - probably because I quit shaving them a few years back.

jeanswithatwist Wed 16-Mar-16 12:19:25

i started losing my pubes when i was about 45, now 51 and have hardly any HOWEVER i have a thick beard either side at the top of my legs. really attractive (if i don't shave)

WorraLiberty Wed 16-Mar-16 12:26:10

I read the thread title as.....To worry about 'disparaging' leg hair? blush grin

Oldraver Wed 16-Mar-16 12:29:06

Jeans Thats why I was so pleased to get a swimsuit with the little frilly skirt on...last time I shaved I got a horrid rash as it was so bushy...now I can not bother

jeanswithatwist Wed 16-Mar-16 13:09:22

yes old i get a rash there too and it really itches so i rarely shave there and on holiday last year, i stuck to shorts on the beach........i haven't got facial hair yet. i still have hairy nipples though, my fault from shaving when i was a young teen', grew back with course thick hair, always had a complex about that especially when topless on holiday (although i would pluck them out with tweezers). taught dd to never do the same thing but then she isn't as stupid as me grin

chantico Wed 16-Mar-16 13:15:45

It can just be ageing - body hair can become sparser or vanish completely. Have you got other menopausal symptoms?

However it could also be a symptom of a peripheral circulation problem.

VertigoNun Wed 16-Mar-16 13:17:01

Yes as I age my legs have become less hairy and my public hair increased down my thighs. No facial hair.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 16-Mar-16 13:26:04

Worra you weren't the only one grin

Dellarobia Wed 16-Mar-16 13:28:28

Yes me too. Leg hair much sparser, underarm and bikini line a bit sparser, chin and nipple hair rampant <sigh>

VocationalGoat Wed 16-Mar-16 13:34:17

Another 'leg to chin' reversal of fortune here! 44 in two weeks. It's just odd. My tache was a real problem in my teens and twenties. Had kids and it ceased to be a problem in my 30s. Hormones definitely play a role. My arm hair is lighter in colour and there's less of it.
So body hair has improved. Moustache too.
But the 5 o'clock shadow on the chin is a bummer.
I catch myself in the mirror on the way out the front door and I'm always shocked. It's like a mini garden of stalks popping up by the nano second.sad

grannytomine Wed 16-Mar-16 14:03:17

I lost leg, arm and underarm hair when I had underactive thyroid, well it is still underactive but I am on med. Are you very tired, putting on weight?

ingeniousidiot Wed 16-Mar-16 14:09:09

My arm hair is still there, although possibly not as much? It's always been very fine and blonde and I've never paid it much attention tbh. Oh god, I'm going to have to do a full body hair audit tonight aren't I? I have a couple of hairs from a freckle/mole under my chin, but nothing too scary yet. It's all shit isn't it?

jeanswithatwist Wed 16-Mar-16 14:12:11

you wait until you have to start dashing to the loo to do a wee the moment you put your key in the door..........

EponasWildDaughter Wed 16-Mar-16 14:17:51

My DH was in the bathroom the other evening and he called out in horror ''oh god! It's started! I;ve got 2 old man eyebrow hairs!''

He's 36 FGS grin

Vedamakesthebesttoast Wed 16-Mar-16 14:38:41

I wouldn't complain tbh I've spent a bloody fortune in the quest to banish my leg hair, id be thinking I'd won the jackpot if that happened to me. Also grin at ifcats I'm the same, also sport a rather nice rash of I leave my follicles to their own devices... Sexy me

DawnOfTheDoggers Wed 16-Mar-16 14:44:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DaftLemon Wed 16-Mar-16 14:45:16

You can gave some of mine. I seem to be getting hairier and hairier as I go through my 40's. Reading this thread it's not the norm.

I have a bald patch on one of my shins from waxing over the years. My bikini line and inner thighs look like someone's been feeding me hair fertiliser. It's bloody horrendous. It's so bad I cannot even contemplate shaving it, it needs to be waxed.
I am waiting anxiously for the day it thins out!

Vedamakesthebesttoast Wed 16-Mar-16 14:55:17

Edit to say 'tash' not rash... Bloody predictive text

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now