Talk

Advanced search

Help they won't take any extra money

(15 Posts)
TrixieBlue2016 Tue 15-Mar-16 18:37:17

So I posted last week about getting my garden tidied and being told it would cost £20shock

The man and his friend came at 4pm and haven't finished (I didn't expect them to) I told them I was paying them extra before they started. However now they won't take the extra for tonight.

I am going to give them £30 each for the 2 hours and pay them the rest tomorrow. But now they won't take it help!

Arfarfanarf Tue 15-Mar-16 18:57:47

Tell them that it's important to you to pay people fairly and not take advantage and if they dont take it you wont feel able to have them back to do the other jobs you're thinking of having done at some point.

londonrach Tue 15-Mar-16 19:01:20

If they wont take it buy wine, beer or provide food like a very nice meal.

Twistedheartache Tue 15-Mar-16 19:04:01

Can you book them for additional maintenance? Doesn't solve the crazy low hourly rate but gives them more business. Also recommend them to everyone to establish themselves?

SavoyCabbage Tue 15-Mar-16 19:05:36

I'd say what Arf said.

RB68 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:09:49

it may be so they don't go over benefit limits of earning extra so please be careful

TrixieBlue2016 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:12:00

I managed to get them to take £20 each. Both are quite young 18/9 so might feel awkward dealing with me. I can't tell, their English is poor. Maybe get DH to pay them tomorrow with some beer.

I am going to get them to do the front garden at a later time as they are very good

scarlets Tue 15-Mar-16 19:17:31

Maybe it's for benefit entitlement reasons, or maybe they don't want to breach £10600 apiece before 5/4/16 because they must pay tax at 20% on anything above that (although they'd still get to keep most of it, some s/employed people have this mentality). Maybe it's to avoid Class 4 National Insurance. Accept and respect their position - you've done what you can.

Floggingmolly Tue 15-Mar-16 19:18:37

They're probably desperate to establish themselves sad. Try to reassure them that you'll continue to use their services and recommend them to everyone else.

HappyGoLuckyGirl Tue 15-Mar-16 19:21:38

Aw sad

I would definitely be recommending them to everyone plus booking them for future work.

getyourfingeroutyournose Tue 15-Mar-16 19:29:09

I'm wondering if they have a legal limit to the amount they can earn but want a little pocket money? I'm not entirely sure but if they don't speak english, one would assume they might not necessarily citizens yet and might have a limit according to their visa or something?
They could just be honest and doing it by the book. Don't force them to take it in case they get in trouble but you could buy them a gift or food of some sort because I doubt that will be limited.
Do you know what language they do speak?

peppatax Tue 15-Mar-16 19:29:45

You've done what you can OP - I tell you what, it takes less than 2 hours but it costs me a lot more than that to have my front garden attended to so send them my way!

TrixieBlue2016 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:33:58

I believe they are Polish. One of them has a very Polish sounding name. I don't mean that to be as racist as it sounds. His name sounds Balticy.

My friend has used them several times and had said how 'cheap' they were. I am now wondering who is cheap? Them or my friend?

DH was hobbling around offering them tea and cake after about an hour and they seems to engage more with him. I'll get him to pay them tomorrow.

LifeofI Tue 15-Mar-16 19:37:55

wow that is really cheap, maybe as someone else suggested buy them a hamper, wine or something

starving Tue 15-Mar-16 21:34:06

Can you send them to me when they are finished. grin My garden is a mess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now