Advanced search

How to help sil please

(11 Posts)
CheeseToasty Tue 15-Mar-16 18:36:21

This is not an AIBU but I put it elsewhere and haven't got a response so I thought I would put it here.

I really don't know what to do. My sil is suffering from depression and has been taking anti depressants for a while but its not getting better. She told that she is cutting herself recently and I advised her to go back to the doctor which she did. The doctor gave her another anti depressant but she has told me that she isn't going to take them. Since then she keep texting about cutting herself but I don't know what to do please help!

SohowdoIdothis Tue 15-Mar-16 19:17:13

Can you get her to go to the doctors with you?

EverySongbirdSays Tue 15-Mar-16 19:23:24

Need more info here. In terms of intervention up to this point is it still just the GP or is the doctor a consultant and is she therefore open to secondary services such as a Crisis team? Has she had any access to talking therapies? Is there any worry for her life or is her self harm more a coping strategy?

Gatehouse77 Tue 15-Mar-16 19:25:34

From my limited experience I'd suggest that someone goes with her to the GP to ensure she's being completely honest and they hear what the GP is doing for her.
If she's self-harming I would push for other therapy to be put in place, although I am aware that the waiting list could be long.
Also, tell her she can ring Samaritans when she's feeling like self-harming. There is always someone there either on the phone, email or text. It is completely confidential.

Bejeena Tue 15-Mar-16 19:30:42

I can't really help with the problem but just want to say you sound like a lovely sister in law. My mother suffers from depression and I always find being there with her the best thing to make her feel better.

CheeseToasty Tue 15-Mar-16 19:45:54

Thanks you. It is just self harm. She says she is feeling a rush from it like a high. She has been given number for crisis but don't know who else is involved. I can't take her to the doctor but will see if another family member can.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Tue 15-Mar-16 19:48:52

How old is SiL OP? If she's in some sort of education there may be other pathways to access help...

EverySongbirdSays Tue 15-Mar-16 19:50:23

If she has a crisis number and you are seriously concerned use it. Jot down the number for yourselves as well in case you ever find her in a bit of a state and need advice. See whether you've got a nearby branch of MIND or rethink or another MH charity. You may find they run support groups specifically either for women with MH or self harmers.

CheeseToasty Tue 15-Mar-16 20:17:49

Thanks I did not think of ringing crisis myself. She is 46.

EverySongbirdSays Tue 15-Mar-16 20:35:55

Family members etc are usually the people who alert mental health teams if someone is in crisis. Do check she's ok with that though.

2rebecca Tue 15-Mar-16 20:44:58

Antidepressants often don't help self harmers who tend to need to learn other ways of managing stress and aren't necessarily depressed. Our area has CPNs who help support self harmers and can get them involved in stress management, relaxation, going on the waiting list for CBT etc.
46 is a bit old to suddenly start self harming if she hasn't done it before though but the doing it to get a rush makes it sound as though she's not doing it because she wants to end her life.
Self harm is often associated with personality disorders, but usually then there is a long history of mental health problems going back to the teenage years.
If she was mentally well until a couple of years ago this is less likely.
As she is your SIL is her blood relative (your husband or brother) involved?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now