Please can someone help me structure this master's pres - desperate :(

(6 Posts)
FarQueueFarkYou Tue 15-Mar-16 16:36:50

Coming to the end of my master's course and I have to give an assessed presentation tomorrow (it's in a foreign language so it can be on any topic I want it to be on).

The thing is, the content of the topic will be assessed and I am really really struggling to order my thoughts and make sense of what I am trying to say.

WOuld I be able to run through my ideas on this thread? I am still in the planning stage of the presentation (not the writing) and I need to get words on a page so it can be learnt sad

I am considering changing topic at this stage too. The only consideration is that it has to be an "academic topic"... God what I am going to do sadsadsad <desperate>

Joopy Tue 15-Mar-16 16:41:32

Go for it, I've been assessing uni presentations all day....

lougle Tue 15-Mar-16 16:46:57

At this stage you just need to get something, anything, down on paper.

FarQueueFarkYou Tue 15-Mar-16 17:02:05

thank you.

so I'm looking at the role of the Orthodox Church in Russia, and its influence over contemporary Russian politics. My argument is essentially that although Russia is a secular country, with no official religion, Orthodox church representatives are being afforded significant power and privileges, thus suggesting an inherent lack of separation of power between Church and State.

I'm interested in analysing the relationship between the Church and the governmental return to "traditional values", which is heavily underpinned by religious ideology and rhetoric, and how this has impacted society... This has manifested itself in three key ways: women's rights, LGBT rights and freedom of speech/religious tolerance.

But I don't know where to go from here!

I can't form an argument, I have all these thoughts but no clear structure.

Perhaps I should change my presentation title to reflect my research??

VerySlovenly Tue 15-Mar-16 17:21:25

Try thinking about it from the point of view of the listener. You have set the scene in your 2 paragraphs. What would you expect from the speaker so that you go away feeling you have gained some insight?

Do you use mind maps? If so you can use those to put down all your thoughts, then look at the whole thing and see if you can pick out a flow that would make sense to the audience.

Maybe compare the influence of the church with other influences on the state? Or compare with other countries where religion has influence (or not) on a secular state? (Turkey?)

Get a move on if you are presenting it tomorrow! grin

Foginthehills Tue 15-Mar-16 18:18:13

I think you're stuck because you're taking on far too much.

How long is the presentation?

Where's your evidence?

What's your evidence?

What's your approach to the evidence?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now