Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to stay off due to strep throat?

(15 Posts)
rockabella Tue 15-Mar-16 07:37:29

I'm a student, working on my graded unit in a subject that involves being up close to work on clients. At least 3 of my fellow students have very young children (not sure if relevent).

I have a bad case of strep throat, to the point I can barely up and about, I'm utterly exhausted,feverish and in pain and my neck resembles that of the elephant man. GP reluctant to give anti-biotics as they didn't speed up the healing process last time and I tend to try and battle things out due to not wanting to increase my anti-biotic resistance. I emailed my lecturer yesterday and received a very unsympathetic reply about how it's important I show my dedication and that she needs to pass my first stage of graded unit before I can move on with it, that a "sore throat" is nothing to worry about in terms of client contact and is threatening to mark my work as "not received" if I don't come in today.

I've completed this work and can e-mail it in, which I told her and the point was ignored.

AIBU to stay at home? Do I need to "man up"? For lack of a better term and just go in and present something I can email in. I'd have thought not spreading an awful bug to clients and classmates would have been relatively important.

hollinhurst84 Tue 15-Mar-16 07:43:09

No. Stay off

Micah Tue 15-Mar-16 07:49:29

"Strep throat" as in you've been swabbed and tested positive for streptococcus?

Cant the gp write you a sick note if it's that bad?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 15-Mar-16 07:52:30

Strep throat if confirmed is very responsive to the right antibiotics. GP not wanting to give antibiotics thinks it is viral.
You have a nasty virus if you have a temperature stay home and drink plenty.

Krampus Tue 15-Mar-16 07:55:21

Surely it's not about the actual illness but how bad you feel overall?

2 people can have flu, or a cold, headache, bad back but how bad they feel will differ. A sore throat could be one symptom of another virus. How did you present the illness? I have a strep throat, high temp and aching limbs, or just a strep throat?

rockabella Tue 15-Mar-16 07:56:31

Telephone consult, but been tested positive before and GP feels confident its the same this time around. Wondering if I was given the wrong anti-biotics last time around, as I was over a week before I felt remotely alive. We have one of those ridiculous systems now where you call for an appointment and get a call back for a telelphone consult before they decide to see you, which is ridiculous imo.

rockabella Tue 15-Mar-16 07:59:40

Krampus I explained I'd had the telephone consult with my GP, relayed it on to the lecturer and was genuinely honest about how I feel but she has form for this kind of thing. A fellow classmates young baby was in hospital and she still e-mailed her asking when she would be in class that day.

This course means a lot, I genuinely enjoy it and I feel like I'm being unreasonable in my lecturers eyes, even though I do feel horrendous.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 15-Mar-16 08:02:29

Only you know how bad you feel, but if it were me I'd go in, she's made it very clear that it's important. I'd then go home once it was handed in if I needed to

RubbleBubble00 Tue 15-Mar-16 08:14:37

I can't function with strep. Iv passed out twice before during episodes so no way could I work. Barely an make it out of bed to try and forced water down my throat while crying with the pain.

Stay off. Ibuprofen with stronger prescription cocodamol interspersed are the only way I can even force myself to drink

Silvercatowner Tue 15-Mar-16 08:18:15

If your throat has been swabbed and found +ve for strep then you will have been prescribed antibiotics which will clear it very quickly, so YABU. If 'strep throat' is another word for 'sore throat' then who knows.

Lilipot15 Tue 15-Mar-16 08:18:15

Surely if you're too ill to be in (and that sounds like what you're saying) you phone in sick? There must be someone above her that it could be escalated to if need be.

hollinhurst84 Tue 15-Mar-16 08:21:09

Even with antibiotics and tonsillitis I have a temp, can't swallow my own spit let alone water/food and usually lose about a stone in a week
I'm not fit to watch TV/read let alone go into work or college

shovetheholly Tue 15-Mar-16 08:25:31

You're clearly too ill to go in. Get a note from your GP and don't go. There is absolutely nothing a lecturer can do if a student can evidence the fact that they're too sick (and you clearly are).

Maybe send a firm email saying: 'I'm not coming in today. I have a virus, and the sore throat is only one of the symptoms. I'm not well enough to be out of bed. I'm attaching my work, and I will catch up with any contact hours I've missed over the next few weeks. A note from the GP will follow'.

rockabella Tue 15-Mar-16 08:26:05

Silvercatowner - phone consult this time due to new system, still going to attempt a face to face appointment to get swapped but GP is 100% sure its strep, and as I've had it before I'm pretty sure also but confirmation would be better.

Lili-shes department head as well as lecturer, apparently its par for the course in the industry ive chosen to take her veiw on illness.

Hollin - I've spent the past 3 days on the couch, had to drive once and even then had to pull over as I got so light headed and faint from breathing in warm air sad

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 15-Mar-16 08:32:31

Did you email asking for permission? That sort of suggests that you could struggle through if you need too.

I think I'd either go to the doctors and get a proper diagnosis and treatment, along with a note, or go to hand it in and leave if I need too. At the moment, your doctor thinks it's strep but neither of you know for certain and you're declining medication. Whilst it sounds like you feel rough, your uncertainty about going makes it sound like you could go if you need too and I guess that's what your lecturer has picked up on?

But I may be biased as I feel guilty if I have time off and avoid it at all costs! Get well soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now