Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this quote is either completely wrong or completely cheeky??

(8 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 14-Mar-16 19:29:03

I contacted a few builders about having a cupboard and some shelves built into two alcoves on either side of my fireplace, I sent them all the same picture.

I got one quote back today... £8000?!

Eight thousand pounds for two cupboards and six shelves??

That's someone trying their luck surely?

curren Mon 14-Mar-16 19:30:05

I find quotes like that mean they don't really want to do the work.

What are the other quotes?

MargotLovedTom Mon 14-Mar-16 19:31:50

I'd be tempted to ask if it was a typo and they meant £800.
You could get a whole new kitchen for eight grand and still have thousands left over.
Have you had any other quotes?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 14-Mar-16 19:32:06

I haven't got them back yet, but if they're all completely different to one another I have no idea who's right, its not really my area of expertise, but I would expect a person to either ignore me or be honest hmm

bornwithaplasticspoon Mon 14-Mar-16 19:33:26

It must be a typo - £800 surely?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 14-Mar-16 19:33:39

It definitely wasn't a typo. I wrote back saying £8000 sounded awfully high, and he replied saying let me know if you want to proceed.

FillingMakesMeVom Mon 14-Mar-16 19:35:25

You'd think they wouldn't but we got some workmen in to do 3 small rooms and asked for a quote for 2 larger rooms they said they'd drop it by... They didn't. If you get wildly different quotes I'd go with the one you could afford but also the one that's best mannered, we went for the ones we did because at the time and even during the work they were real gentlemen

curren Mon 14-Mar-16 19:45:36

They aren't going to ignore you. That's not the best way to run a business. But people do give high quotes so they don't have to turn it down. Daft, but happens.

You say you want them building? From scratch? Did you give them a list of materials you wanted it made from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now