Talk

Advanced search

Not to invite landlord in

(13 Posts)
Ladycrazycat Mon 14-Mar-16 18:16:37

Just moved house. Landlord popped round just now with a set of keys. I didn't invite them in and am now worried I looked mad/like I was hiding something! I'm my defence I was caught off guard and had dough all over my right hand from making dumplings!

Have I made a huge faux pas? I'm pregnant and having slightly erratic moods so no idea if I'm being unreasonable or not but now worrying about it!

PointlessUsername Mon 14-Mar-16 18:18:19

I never invite people in when they turn up unexpected.

I wouldn't think anymore of it.

Ladycrazycat Mon 14-Mar-16 18:27:50

Thanks pointless. I do have a habit of over thinking things!

I just love this house and don't want them to assume we had something to hide. I didn't even really open the door properly because it was freezingz But then that makes me think that my natural response was to make them stand on the doorstep in the cold instead! blush I wish they had just emailed first!

Chinesealan Mon 14-Mar-16 18:29:58

They're not allowed in without notice so they won't expect to be invited in.

Sunnyshores Mon 14-Mar-16 18:41:49

If he had wanted to come in he would have asked (which you could have refused) or made some excuse about checking the smoke alarm or whatever. As long as you were polite and friendly then I wouldnt be concerned.

specialsubject Mon 14-Mar-16 18:43:13

exactly. I wouldn't even dare do this without 24 hours notice at least.

landlords can get in trouble for many things and this could be deemed 'harrassment of the tenant'.

of course in the real world, this is the landlord dropping something useful off to you, not expecting to be invited in, you didn't, everyone is happy.

TooOldForGlitter Mon 14-Mar-16 18:43:56

You don't have to let anyone in to your house unless you want to! You did nothing wrong at all. To be fair, LL probably didn't want to be asked in 😊

SuperCee7 Mon 14-Mar-16 18:51:44

Nah it's fine. If my LL "popped round" to drop off keys it wouldn't enter my head to invite them in at all, that's something you can do on the doorstep plus I like my privacy. I doubt they'll car either, especially since you were obviously busy.

Chattymummyhere Mon 14-Mar-16 18:51:49

I always make my agent stand outside unless it's an official inspection he can stay out. Nosey bugger would never just stand still and would take himself for an uninvited wonder.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 14-Mar-16 18:52:52

Yanbu.

Ladycrazycat Mon 14-Mar-16 19:52:47

Thanks everyone. I've calmed down and stopped cringing quite so much!

Methenyouplus4 Mon 14-Mar-16 20:24:16

I'm a LL and wouldn't expect it at all. Presumably if they thought you were crackers/ hygiene habits of a rodent, they wouldn't have rented it to you. Congratulations on pregnancy.

stiffstink Mon 14-Mar-16 21:47:38

I'm a LL. Its the tenant's home not mine. In fact I'd probably decline to come in even if asked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now