Talk

Advanced search

To apply for this job...

(4 Posts)
dandydesmond Mon 14-Mar-16 11:08:09

A lot of things have changed significantly in my life recently (ie over the last 3 months). Long term relationship ended, briefly dated someone else then ended that just last week as he was a dick, moved out of my home (shared with ex), sold the house and am now renting again, etc etc. Massive upheaval.

Anyway, an interesting job opportunity has come up. i'm a lawyer and i work in London at a magic circle firm... so currently extremely good pay, but bad hours, awful senior people and terrible work/life balance, but interesting work, I have some great friends here (I trained here and have been qualified for a few years) and I feel comfortable.

This job opportunity represents a major pay cut and a massive change, but the work/life balance would be much better, the expectation would be lower and the work is a bit more varied than what I currently do. I've wanted to leave my job for various reasons for a long time, but they really relate to the senior staff and the work/life balance only.

I would like to apply for this new job, but I am terrified that I am going to regret changing absolutely everything about my life in such a short space of time. Now that I'm on my own, a major pay cut (though manageable from a bills point of view) scares me too because I am worried about losing my buffer and my ability to get a mortgage in London (I'd be going down from a 6 figure salary with bonuses to a mid-five figure salary with very little bonus possibility).

I'm also terrified that it would end up being "same shit, different people" or something like that, and I'd be leaving a place where I have great friends for an unknown...

What do you think?

centigrade451 Mon 14-Mar-16 11:25:45

It depends if you are still working for a lawfirm or going for in house in a company. Also, how many years post qualification are you?

Personally inhouse at a company is the cushiest job for a lawyer. It should still be paying a reasonable high five figures. It can also be far more varied and interesting.

Going to a smaller lawfirm that pays much less is career suicide - don't do it unless you are going to get a good promotion along with it.

Going to inhouse - is more understandable.

Having gone through a trauma of sorts, the best things to do is not to make any more changes for 6 months.

Despite all of this, I would still apply, if anything having interview practice is valuable, and going through the process will give you clarification as to the path you want to go down.

Moopsboopsmum Mon 14-Mar-16 11:56:05

What area do you practice in? I would look for something abroad if you want a change. Then you get away from the shot that is the City and get to put some money away. Also you might meet some nice new people. I wouldn't go down from MC, you won't ever be able to get back to where you were or the salary. Just MHO.

blueshoes Mon 14-Mar-16 12:33:58

I agree with Centigrade that if a work life balance and interesting work is what you want, to go in-house rather than a smaller private practice.

What is your practice area? Some areas are easier to go in-house than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now