Talk

Advanced search

To think drinks and a comedy club is a cracking idea for a first date?

(17 Posts)
WineIsFineAtNine Sat 12-Mar-16 16:44:29

My much younger 21 years younger than me friend has been asked out on a date this week for drinks and a comedy club in Central London (where her and the bloke in question both work).

Friend is going to go but is dreading the comedy club part- thinks it will be awkward, worried about graphically sexual jokes being awkward and everything else!

I've never been to a comedy club but think it's a lovely idea!

Aibu?

Xmasbaby11 Sat 12-Mar-16 16:45:21

Sounds good to me. I love live comedy.

InkleWinkle Sat 12-Mar-16 16:47:08

It will be fine as long as they've both got the same taste in comedy 😀

Allbymyselfagain Sat 12-Mar-16 16:47:14

Best first date I ever went on. Funny, no awkward silences and something to talk about if conversation started to slow.

zodiackelly Sat 12-Mar-16 16:47:58

I personally would think that's a great first date idea - it's casual, fun and laughing is always a good way to break the ice. smile

kawolski Sat 12-Mar-16 16:53:35

I would love that! No awkward silences, something to talk about afterwards.I think it's a good half way point between a film (not being able to talk) and a restaurant (having to make interesting conversation whilst trying to eat politely). My dating days are behind me but I'm a little jealous.

DropYourSword Sat 12-Mar-16 16:54:45

I love stand up comedy. But I don't think it's a great place for a first date!

kawolski Sat 12-Mar-16 16:59:29

I suppose the problem would be if it turns out they have very different ideas about what's funny.
Saying that it's a good way of finding out. I couldn't be with someone who didn't share my sense of humour.

Has she suggested to him a change of plans? If she isn't comfortable with the date I can't imagine he would mind changing it?

EponasWildDaughter Sat 12-Mar-16 17:25:11

Oooooh i don't know.

It would be a fun night out, yes, but it's something I'd rather do with someone i knew quite well already. i get drunk very easily and snort a lot very loudly when i laugh I can't put my finger on why.

Narp Sat 12-Mar-16 17:29:55

I think it's a good place for a first date, as long as there's time before/after/during for a chat.

sharing a sense of humour is a big deal for me, so it would be a good way to weed them out.

liberatedwine Sat 12-Mar-16 17:36:25

Not a date, a Christmas works night out 3 years ago, and the entertainment was a stand up comedian. His first words "so, are there any lesbians in the house?" Cue stunned silence.

It all depends on the comedians...

theycallmemellojello Sat 12-Mar-16 17:39:49

It really depends on the comedy tastes. Someone who is into Stewart lee is not going to be delighted to find themselves at a Roy chubby brown type event, or indeed a Michael McIntyre type one. But to be fair you'd probably find out whether or not you were compatible with your date pretty quickly.

doublechocchip Sat 12-Mar-16 17:40:18

I think it's a great idea as long as they're not sitting at the front, being 'picked on' while on a first date would be beyond mortifying!

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 12-Mar-16 17:41:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 12-Mar-16 17:42:18

sharing a sense of humour is a big deal for me, so it would be a good way to weed them out. Totally agree. I met a very nice bloke at a comedy club once.

WineIsFineAtNine Sat 12-Mar-16 17:46:29

She can't really suggest a change of venue because she already asked him to rearrange the day of the date due to the hours she was working. The pubic hair jokes is the exactly the type of thing she's worrying about!

Is it dark in a comedy club?
What are the seating arrangements like?

Oh gosh I'm not even going to tell her the people at the front can be 'picked on' grin

They're going for drinks first so should be in good spirits to laugh!

I think it's a great idea but as I've never been to a comedy club I wouldn't really know.
Is there a break to talk?

Oysterbabe Sat 12-Mar-16 17:51:13

I think it's a bit much for a first date as it's a whole evening event. In my dating days I preferred just a drink so I could bail after one if it wasn't going well. Good for a second date I'd say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now