Talk

Advanced search

to think the correct response

(9 Posts)
BishopBrennansArse Sat 12-Mar-16 14:13:32

to a wheelchair user pointing out an accessibility issue with a large store is to point out the location of the disabled parking?

Particularly if said wheelchair user isn't actually in a car...

Try getting a wheelchair past this...

GabiSolis Sat 12-Mar-16 14:18:20

I'm not totally sure I understand your post. Are you upset with the response from the shop staff? I can't make out if you are bothered by them pointing out the parking spaces or not.

The positioning of the lamppost is obviously a problem but it's difficult to tell how bad from the photo.

GabiSolis Sat 12-Mar-16 14:19:51

Oh I've just noticed the crossing in the background, ref the second part of my reply, that is pretty bad.

SohowdoIdothis Sat 12-Mar-16 14:23:01

Five minutes with an angle grinder and they can remove the bollard.

BishopBrennansArse Sat 12-Mar-16 14:24:13

No, I tweeted.

You can't get a wheelchair round either side of the lamp post. The kerb to the left isn't dropped at all so you risk flipping your chair by going over it.

The only way into the store was to cut through an empty parking bay to the right of the car in the picture, almost colliding with a car driving into said bay as I was not visible in the chair from the main road.

So I tweeted the store pointing out the problem (lamp post is on an island with dropped kerbs both ends) and they told me to use the disabled parking bays.

As it's lovely and sunny I wanted some fresh air and sunshine and didn't want to make such a short trip in the car.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 12-Mar-16 14:24:17

Going by the visible advertising I had a similar issue with the same chain of stores only access to store using crossing was using steps do impossible for wheelchairs or Prams.
They added additional pavement up slop to access crossing, took them a few months. I may just be no one has looked carefully. You have now identified it and they will look into it.

GabiSolis Sat 12-Mar-16 14:42:33

YANBU in pointing out the problem, clearly not. But are you sure they understood you weren't arriving at the shop in a car? Have they said they will investigate this?

BishopBrennansArse Sat 12-Mar-16 14:48:55

Have now established with them that it's a problem for those not in cars. Have an email address to contact at least. But crikey, it was only finished a little while ago and can't believe nobody noticed!

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 12-Mar-16 20:54:36

Bishop when I brought it up the store had been open 4 hours even the planners had noticed the access without a car issueshock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now