Talk

Advanced search

Disability cuts

(299 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Springsummer123 Sat 12-Mar-16 08:35:19

Name changed as obviously sensitive subject and don't want to put myself .i possibly don't know enough on this so am interested in other views . I may have only seen a small percentage - I'm insure ?
I have 2 sisters . One has had a stroke .which had devestated the family . She is quite well off yet has been upset she will loose a benifit that I believe is for her husband being her carer . Ok discussion to try to ease her fears it's very clear they don't need it . They can afford all care , holidays good standard of living on her payout . Number of property's all fully owned out right . Yet she thinks she should get it as some sort of compensation for the stroke .i can see why she would be angry with life but she doesn't need the money ? Surely it's right to be cut ?
My second sister works with adults with autism . She was saying they are struggling to spend the last part of their money entitlement before the next claim . I know they have holidays etc and their is still money over ( my sister accompanied many times )
So I'm wondering in some cases should the disability benifits be cut ?

Samcro Sat 12-Mar-16 08:37:44

did you see the news about cuts and come on and hide behind a NC to have a pop at disabled people.....
goady and nasty

ilovesooty Sat 12-Mar-16 08:37:46

name changed as obviously sensitive subject

No you've named changed to give yourself the freedom to be a GF and go back to your regular name afterwards.

Samcro Sat 12-Mar-16 08:38:29

wow snap

ILeaveTheRoomForTwoMinutes Sat 12-Mar-16 08:39:42

ODFOD

Abed Sat 12-Mar-16 08:39:46

biscuit

SaucyJack Sat 12-Mar-16 08:39:59

I should imagine the amount of people claiming benefits for daily living expenses whilst having an income from owning several properties outright is exceedingly low.

You are possibly not being unreasonable in your sisters case, but let's not assume that she represents even 1% of claimants.

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 12-Mar-16 08:41:24

biscuit

Wineandcheases Sat 12-Mar-16 08:43:00

I think there will be lots of people who need more money some like the above who maybe shouldn't get it . Those who financially need it In My opinion should get the money . Only so much in the pot it should go to those who need it to live a dignified life

Aristaeus Sat 12-Mar-16 08:44:25

I'm lost for words at this latest news. They are cutting disability support payments for up 500,000 people in order to fund tax cuts for the middle classes and wealthy. What the actual fuck?

This is immoral even by their normal low standards. How can anyone justify this? No doubt these tax cuts for those already well off will come in just before the next election.

ilovesooty Sat 12-Mar-16 08:45:16

Yes samcro

Posters who post cowardly goady fuckery like this under name changes make me sick.

Aristaeus Sat 12-Mar-16 08:48:10

Wineandcheases, the latest cuts to disability living are being used to raise the threshold for the top rate of income tax, so people earning twice the national average wage and above will get a nice tax cut paid for by cutting living support payments to disabled people.

BankWadger Sat 12-Mar-16 08:50:16

So I'm wondering in some cases should the disability benifits be cut ?

No

Now fuck off

Wineandcheases Sat 12-Mar-16 08:50:32

Aristaeus in no way do I agree with the money being used for that

InvictusVersinium Sat 12-Mar-16 08:51:49

biscuitbiscuit
ODFOD.

Sparklingbrook Sat 12-Mar-16 08:53:16

YABU

BishopBrennansArse Sat 12-Mar-16 08:53:23

OP, stop being a dick.

feellikeahugefailure Sat 12-Mar-16 08:54:16

WTF is your point?biscuit

InvictusVersinium Sat 12-Mar-16 08:54:39

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

InvictusVersinium Sat 12-Mar-16 08:55:58

calumslist.org

Madhairday Sat 12-Mar-16 08:56:46

No.

14,000 disabled people have so far lost their motability cars in the PIP cuts. There are all people who were on high rate DLA mobility. Have they suddenly all been cured? What it means is ghettoising disabled people, trapping them in their homes, narrowing their lives. Many of these folk were able to work because of their car and now have that torn away. Just one eg of the effects of these foul cuts.

I hate what this govt is doing.

Yabvu and goady

Fairylea Sat 12-Mar-16 08:58:12

I'm sure you probably work for the Daily Mail. biscuit

Yes we have SO much money left each month after caring for our severely disabled child with autism and learning difficulties whose needs are so great (24/7, doesn't sleep and dangerous, so we care in shifts) neither my husband nor myself can work and we have to rely solely on benefits including income support and tax credits and dla. We are SO well off we don't even have lights upstairs that work as we can afford to fix them ten times over but don't think it's necessary. hmmhmm Because of cuts to funding our son can't even get a special needs buggy through wheelchair services in our area and we can't afford a bigger one so going out together as a family is virtually impossible. (Son is completely unsafe around cars / roads / would cause an accident if both of us weren't there etc).

Some people have NO idea. None at all. angry

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sat 12-Mar-16 09:02:41

Your brother in law cares for his disabled wife, he's probably saving the state much more than he is receiving.

The80sweregreat Sat 12-Mar-16 09:38:37

There was a lady featured on the national news a while back now who uses her mobility car to go to work. Its been especially adapted for her needs.
She has always worked, she said if the car is taken away from her she won t be able to get to work on public transport and might have to resign. Utter Utter madness.
Lots and lots of people are not in the position of your sil. These cuts are immoral. Its just wrong and the stories here and on the other threads too Nobody knows whats round the corner. Nobody. I agree with other posters, your brother is saving the state money too by being her carer.

Bubblesinthesummer Sat 12-Mar-16 09:46:52

No no no no no.

OP opinions like yours make me so so angry. You know nothing of the struggles the disabled have.

I have a terminal illness and a young family. Want to swap places? No thought not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now