To ask those of you with older working children at home

(10 Posts)
FlyingRussianUnicorn Fri 11-Mar-16 21:08:15

Im just curious to see what I do in comparison.

Do they make a special effort for birthdays xmas etc?

FlyingRussianUnicorn Fri 11-Mar-16 21:08:48

Posted too soon!

If they pay rent, how much?

usual Fri 11-Mar-16 21:10:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 11-Mar-16 21:11:10

Token rent, about 1/8th of his take home pay and yes, he does make an effort birthdays, Christmas etc.

ohtheholidays Fri 11-Mar-16 21:14:11

Yes pays some rent and always makes an effort for Christmas and Birthdays and he's just started making an effort for Mothers Day and Fathers Day.

SquinkiesRule Fri 11-Mar-16 21:14:14

Ds lives at home and works and goes to college, he pays no rent to us (until college is complete) and he buys birthday and Christmas presents for everyone usually very small and thoughtful and not expensive. good practice for when he marries n case they have any financial struggles

Alexa444 Fri 11-Mar-16 21:25:29

I am the older child smile I pay rent, £180 a month (I am on extremely low income, hence being at home) and yes always make a special effort for Christmas/Birthdays. We don't really do mothers/fathers day, just a card and some flowers/aftershave but then I do buy them both things and treat them to stuff throughout the year anyway.

BackforGood Fri 11-Mar-16 21:32:15

My older two both have PT jobs around studies.
No rent (although I would when they finish their education).
Yes, they get cards / prezzies for Birthdays / Christmas / Mother's day.

werewolfinladderedtights Fri 11-Mar-16 21:51:02

Both my daughters pay towards our household expenses. They also spoil me on birthdays, Christmas and Mothers Day.
They do the cleaning. I cook and buy the food.

theoldtrout01876 Sat 12-Mar-16 01:53:30

I have 3 at home. One working full time, he pays the electricity bill sposed to be paying off student loans and lives large, I have two working part time and at college. They pay nothing. I fully support them. I have done something very wrong. None of them make an effort or do anything despite being asked. It is very tying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now