Talk

Advanced search

To expect my dh to make a decision regarding dinner?

(17 Posts)
booksrock Fri 11-Mar-16 18:24:45

I have had a full on week at work and am very tired, as well as full of cold
Aibu to have something tasty at home waiting for me, instead of dh asking me what I want half an hour after I got in? I'm starving. I don't know what I want as my brain is fried.
Yesterday I gave up and had cod bites left over from DC dinner, a bolied egg and raw carrots.

theclick Fri 11-Mar-16 18:27:13

No but if he makes it, that's a bonus. All I get from DH when I ask him what we should eat is "give me some options". I don't want to give you bloody options, I am not a menu and I know all you'll do is reject each one anyway!

Chrisinthemorning Fri 11-Mar-16 18:28:12

This means he has to go and fetch a takeaway in my house.
YANBU

redhat Fri 11-Mar-16 18:28:34

At least he's making you food!

booksrock Fri 11-Mar-16 18:29:41

For clarity dh works part time and picks up dc from school so normally cooks as I get in later

almostthirty Fri 11-Mar-16 18:29:55

It depends. I do the food shopping so know what food I have bought to go together. It gives me the rage when dh is helpful, cooks dinner but has inadvertently split up 3 other meals I was planning.

FranHastings Fri 11-Mar-16 18:31:09

This enrages me. Having to think about what to eat and prepare is just as bad as having to make it if you ask me. I don't want to be in charge of the decision. Just make something. I want no part of this process! YANBU.

Vintage45 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:31:25

Your first sentence made me think, he's only asking.

Your second sentence made me question what's going on, why would you have to have left overs from DC's dinner.

????

Vintage45 Fri 11-Mar-16 18:32:20

why not just tell him to surprise you grin

Oysterbabe Fri 11-Mar-16 18:34:21

I ask DH what he wants every day and he always says he doesn't mind. I might start making stuff he doesn't like until he starts having an opinion.

booksrock Fri 11-Mar-16 18:58:43

We have finally had the dinner conversation. He is having stuff I don't want (high carbs) but he's going to do me veg and something from the veggie drawer in the freezer

Acornacorn Fri 11-Mar-16 19:10:50

I share your frustration, OP.
On days my DH isn't working and I am, he'll text me to ask what I would like for dinner and it frustrates me as I don't have the brain power to do the thinking. If he also then asks me to take a detour and pick something up from the shops on my way home, it can push me over the edge. 95% of the time, he'll then expect me to help with the cooking too.
Grr!
Pass the wine!

Vintage45 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:31:47

Lucky you!

What you are saying makes me so mad. You don't want to decide but you get pissed off when its made for you.

You only eat "certain non carbs"

Get a grip. If I were him you would never be asked again.

Vintage45 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:33:01

Has no one noticed yet that the OP is the one dictating? Her spouse is the one at home.

Muskateersmummy Fri 11-Mar-16 19:34:21

We have a meal plan up on the wall because "what's for dinner?" Used to drive me up the blinking wall!!!

StrawberryMouse Fri 11-Mar-16 19:35:37

Opposite here. I ask dh every day what he fancies for dinner (cook only for him as I am on a special diet and the children eat straight after school) and he never knows or "doesn't mind". Infuriating. Just pick something. grin

CheshireChat Fri 11-Mar-16 19:48:40

Hah, DP tries this- asking me to figure out what to cook so he doesn't have to come up with something and replying to any question with 'what do you think'- if I knew I wouldn't be asking you!
I also rarely help, cook something you can manage alone.
I do most of the cooking though, mostly because I'm the fussier eater.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now