Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think Simon Mayo's All Request Friday is total bilge?

(51 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 11-Mar-16 18:05:26

and that listening to ordinary people ringing in (usually from the back of a car on the motorway en route to Aunty Jean's big birthday for eg.) is unutterably dull?

almostthirty Fri 11-Mar-16 18:07:13

And the same songs get requested every week ! I do like the muppet song though!

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 11-Mar-16 18:08:58

Yes! they seem to have a drawer full of about 20 songs just for this show! Tut.

ImperialBlether Fri 11-Mar-16 18:09:06

Yes, I agree - I hate the regular listeners phoning in, wanting to say hello to people they're actually sitting next to or who they'll be seeing in five minutes' time.

froomeonthebroom Fri 11-Mar-16 18:09:31

shock wash your mouth out!

I love the cheesiness and have spent ages trying to get on, whilst in the back of a car on the motorway en route to Aunty Jean's big birthday wink

treaclesoda Fri 11-Mar-16 18:09:59

Ah now, I did hear a teenager earlier requesting Guns n Roses for her granny which did make me smile a little.

But yes, everyone is always off for a lovely weekend with friends and they give me lifestyle envy grin

Whochangedmyname Fri 11-Mar-16 18:13:10

I like it for all reasons you seem to hate it! Just a bit of harmless fun and I actually really like Simon Mayo. Not often I am lured from R4.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 11-Mar-16 18:16:20

I listen to Simon Mayo the rest of the week and turn this drivel off when I can be arsed to get up from my chair grin

ImperialBlether Fri 11-Mar-16 18:16:28

I love Simon Mayo and feel sorry for him when the person calling is boring. Not as sorry as I feel for myself, though.

And what I hate the most is when children phone up.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 11-Mar-16 18:18:19

Oh God yes aaaarg the children! Infact it was a conversation with a girl who didn't appear to know she was being driven to Scotland and who had precisely NOTHING to say which prompted me to start this thread Imperial!

BankWadger Fri 11-Mar-16 18:25:40

Oh the wee children asking for songs that they have obviously never heard of because Mum doesn't want the embarrassment of being caught out on national radio asking for such a dire song having had all decent songs turned down

Never come across a request show that has such a small range of requests hmm

JolseBaby Fri 11-Mar-16 18:29:05

I quite like it. I am gutted that I miss out on Serious Jockin' though - as I used to really love it. So cheesy but great fun!

HungryHorace Fri 11-Mar-16 18:34:02

I just about coped with the girl being driven to Scotland, but I did have to turn over when a giggling bloke was put on air. I'm not sure who picks the callers, but they often get it very wrong!

treaclesoda Fri 11-Mar-16 18:37:22

Serious Jockin' angry

Steve Wright makes me angry

All his chittering cronies in the background make me angry

The 'factoids' make me almost spontaneously combust with angry

I'm not a fan grin

DoreenLethal Fri 11-Mar-16 18:38:44

What?

Radcliffe and Maconie are the best thing on radio. FFS.

EachandEveryone Fri 11-Mar-16 18:40:36

Yes I agree love Simon Mayo especially the confessions. Cannot abide Steve Wright. I don't know how he's survived this long.

DoreenLethal Fri 11-Mar-16 18:41:07

And that is why mumsnet flipping around the page is fucking annoying. I click on someone moaning about Radcliffe and Maconie and get someone else moaning about Steve Wright.

Fucking fuck.

treaclesoda Fri 11-Mar-16 18:44:16

Doreen I love Radcliffe and Maconie smile

I'm not just a moaner, I can say nice things too grin

DoreenLethal Fri 11-Mar-16 18:49:16

I totally agree with you about Simon Mayo. Hence having a DAB in the car.

playitagainsally Fri 11-Mar-16 18:49:39

Better than Chris Evans with his friday morning celebs who are all promoting something.

AnnieNoMouse Fri 11-Mar-16 18:53:09

I Like SM Mon to thu but find the Friday show dull. And I absolutely cannot bear the Muppet song and all the "little Johnny insists we stop the car to listen to this on the way back from violin practice" dedications that precede it. I generally have to switch off at that point, having only switched on when I know SW is finished - so that's about 5 mins of R2 listening time on a Friday. Especially as I also avoid Chris Evans on a Friday as I'm sick of all his bantz with his show-biz mates.

whatwoulddexterdo Fri 11-Mar-16 18:55:44

Can't abide Steve, love the show , Wright. He talks over the beginning and end of every track as he loves the sound of his own voice. And don't get me started on the serious jocking no g. What fresh hell is that?
I love it when Jonathan Ross fills in, decent music , decent chat

BennyTheBall Fri 11-Mar-16 18:56:09

Can't bear it. I usually only last as long as that wanky Muppet song before I change station.

I've discovered Johnny Vaughan on Radio X - he makes me laugh a LOT.

LittleRedSparke Fri 11-Mar-16 18:56:20

i cant STAND the mind numbing boring, can i just say hello to xxx shite - well just turn around and tell them ffs

and as for the 'confessions' recently - someone on ...Tuesday? wanted forgiveness for having a bad thought! oh my god

JolseBaby Fri 11-Mar-16 19:26:06

But I love Serious Jockin' <stamps foot>

It's such a send-up and he plays some cracking 80s and 90s cheese as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now