Advanced search

Planning Permission issues - do I mention my tenants concerns?

(10 Posts)
Flossyfloof Fri 11-Mar-16 17:05:32

I rent out a little bungalow to a long standing, dependable and hard working tenant. We have received notice that there is to be a student development alongside the house. He is concerned because he gets up early in the morning and needs his kip - students can be noisy buggers, There is also the issue of privacy, the building will look directly down onto the garden. This property has already been extended once and that impacted on my house. I have told him that I don't think it will be a problem but that I will raise my concerns. AIBU to mention that I am now the landlord ( I was living there when the first extension was built) and to say that I am concerned on behalf of my tenant? I don't want to muddy the waters by saying that but I can't pretend I still live there either!

WombatStewForTea Fri 11-Mar-16 17:07:59

Will it affect the price or saleability in the future? If so I'd definitely be lodging my concerns regardless of whether I lived there or not!

Flossyfloof Fri 11-Mar-16 17:12:37

Yes it might. However that is not a reason you can cite.

VoldysGoneMouldy Fri 11-Mar-16 17:13:11

Think you need to mention it as he won't always be living there, and it may impact on future tenants deciding on renting it. Also if you want to sell, if there is no privacy then it will surely impact that.

Flossyfloof Fri 11-Mar-16 17:13:57

I am penning an objection now but I don't know whether to say I don't actually live there (although I will in all probability move back in at some point).
I am not sure whether to mention the fact that it is rented out or not.

SohowdoIdothis Fri 11-Mar-16 17:17:46

Find out the reference number of the application look on line at the application, go and look at the plans at the council if possible ask to talk to planning, they usually have a drop in session, write an letter objecting to what will affect your property, you probably won't be able to stop development, but you can influance finishes, materials and constraints.

Littlecaf Fri 11-Mar-16 17:20:17

Price and saleability are not material planning considerations. Concentrate on your concern regarding amenity, loss of light, over bearing impact, design and any change of use. You can comment even if you don't live there.

TopHat33 Fri 11-Mar-16 17:23:41

You could phrase it without saying either way iyswim, ie: 'I'm concerned about the impact on my property by the proposed development. It has the potential for late night noise disturbance and will also overlook the property causing an invasion of privacy etc etc etc

But I'd prob just be totally upfront as you've been in your op: My property is fully occupied - currently by a tenant but likely to be my home again in the future and both the tenant and I share these concerns.

specialsubject Fri 11-Mar-16 18:04:54

it will be an issue for whoever lives there; this tenant, future tenant, future owner occupiers. Seems a good reason to object, although don't hold your breath, sadly.

PegsPigs Fri 11-Mar-16 19:03:43

Anyone can object to anything planning related no matter where they live. More weight is given to local opinion for obvious reasons. You are complaining on behalf of your tenant so I see no reason to make it explicit you live elsewhere. The opinion is of the neighbour who will be affected i.e. the tenant via you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now