Talk

Advanced search

Dp opened the golden syrup WITH A TIN OPENER

(145 Posts)
Timri Fri 11-Mar-16 08:23:13

We normally get the squeeze bottle variety, but when I last got some they only had tins.
And he opened it with a tin opener!?!? I have just found the evidence in the cupboard with tin foil over the top.
AIBU to have assumed that everyone knows how to open golden syrup tin?!?

NeedACleverNN Fri 11-Mar-16 08:24:54

Thought you just popped a knife under the lid and flipped it open....

And I don't even use golden syrup

EatShitDerek Fri 11-Mar-16 08:25:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katenka Fri 11-Mar-16 08:25:44

Don't you just pop the lid?

It has made it harder

slicedfinger Fri 11-Mar-16 08:25:47

YANBU 😂

MrsSteptoe Fri 11-Mar-16 08:25:58

Amazed that he hasn't come across golden syrup tins before! But not surprised that he opened it with tin opener, as that's the sort of really unbelievably daft thing I would do... blush
Supposed to be quite smart, but sometimes I just can't see what's right under my nose...
Thank you, OP, that's a smiley start to a Friday

Cornettoninja Fri 11-Mar-16 08:26:12

<sniggers>

Although I am intrigued to know what you use it for, porridge? I think I've a tin from the last decade in my cupboard!

RebootYourEngine Fri 11-Mar-16 08:26:29

Doesnt it have a lid like a paint tin where you have to pop it open?

OhShutUpThomas Fri 11-Mar-16 08:26:37

LTB.

corlette Fri 11-Mar-16 08:26:39

That must of taken some work. His wrist must be bloody killing him.
The golden syrup tins seem more sturdy than a normal tin.

FatimaLovesBread Fri 11-Mar-16 08:26:41

Wtf where was his logic on how it was going to be stored once he had taken the top off with the tin opener?

sooperdooper Fri 11-Mar-16 08:26:47

Lol that's hilarious!

PartyCityGhoul Fri 11-Mar-16 08:27:17

Wow - those are tough tins, where did you get your tin opener from!? I'm impressed.

I'd have assumed he knew - have you educated him now? How STICKY is the cupboard? That stuff gets everywhere.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Fri 11-Mar-16 08:27:56

Has he never opened a paint tin before? It's exactly the same principle! What a knob grin

FatimaLovesBread Fri 11-Mar-16 08:27:59

Haha yes does he open paint tins with a tin opener too grin

00100001 Fri 11-Mar-16 08:32:08

My DH opened BOTH ENDS of the multi-pack of crispsfor some unknown reason. There was a waterfall of crisps when i picked it up to make lunches confused

acasualobserver Fri 11-Mar-16 08:36:37

I think it was nice that he made a new lid out of tin foil.

Timri Fri 11-Mar-16 08:39:23

Yeah, we use it for porridge all the time (not paying loads for those oats so simple sachets!?!) I've just spoken to him, he said he just saw a tin so opened it, then sat muttering what a stupid design it was and how was it supposed to be stored now! grin

ProfGrammaticus Fri 11-Mar-16 08:39:31

Did he tin-open THE BOTTOM??

londonrach Fri 11-Mar-16 08:41:13

Wow...it much be hard to open with a can opener. In future reference pop it open. Im vvvvv surprised you not seen it in tin form as its the only form there is i thought. As for what you use it open...oat biscuits!!!!

Anniegetyourgun Fri 11-Mar-16 08:42:42

Handle of a spoon is the time-honoured approach. Or a knife if you don't have spoons thin or strong enough.

XH once opened a tin of baked beans and went to put it in the oven. (He'd studied physics so he knew you shouldn't heat it closed.) He thought I was most unreasonable expecting him to decant it into a saucepan. It makes the saucepan dirty for no reason, you see. And what's the difference between in the oven or on the hob anyway? (This is also the person who served pie on top of chips in one huge mixing bowl, with a fork each. I gave him short shrift on that one as well. Poor guy, I did lead him a dog's life. It's a wonder he wasn't more grateful to get rid of me.)

hefzi Fri 11-Mar-16 08:46:42

I'm with Thomas on this one: it's definitely a case of LTB!

Maryz Fri 11-Mar-16 08:51:30

He must have opened it upside down? Surely he couldn't have not noticed the lid confused

SanityClause Fri 11-Mar-16 08:52:18

Sounds like something DH would do, except he does know about golden syrup tins, as we are old enough to predate squeeze bottles of it.

If there is some kind of opening device on a packet (a tear/pull thing, or what have you) he will never use it. He once accused DS of opening a packet of ham "like a werewolf", so that is what I always say, now.

PIL are as bad, and used to drive me mad when the DC were small, by opening packets of wipes at the end, so they all dried out before you could use them.

He also never puts a clip on any open packets, but just folds them down. He believes freezer drawers should be half full of loose peas. There is no hope for him.

GooseberryRoolz Fri 11-Mar-16 08:52:28

He doesn't bake enough, does he? grin

There's a certain kind of logic to it though; tin >>> tin opener.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now