Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off at DH?

(44 Posts)
oxfordyvonne Thu 10-Mar-16 22:46:47

Quite furious at him today. So for months and months I've been saying to my husband that he should read "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins as I read it, loved it and thought it would be something he'd enjoy too. However, he didn't read it as far as I knew despise me recommending it multiple times and even downloading it to his kindle.

Fast forward to today and I notice him sitting on the sofa with his kindle, so I ask him what he's reading to which he replies "Oh, The Girl on the Train - Sarah from work recommended it to me.. I'm almost finished, I think you would love it." Is it unreasonable for me to be absolutely furious at him and his blatant ignorance? The fact that he values "Sarah from work"'s recommendation more than mine? Am I being too sensitive?

oxfordyvonne Thu 10-Mar-16 22:47:40

Even has the nerve to say "I think you would love it"

RudeElf Thu 10-Mar-16 22:48:00

He must have been taking the piss? Or else you were whispering every time you said it? grin

FlyingRussianUnicorn Thu 10-Mar-16 22:48:43

YANBU. It pisses me off too OP. Maybe we are both over sensitive though

cake wine flowers

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 10-Mar-16 22:48:59

Erm... It does seem like a bit of an overreaction.

I'd have just said that you read it months ago and recommended it to him then. It was a recommendation, not an order.

Unless you're generally worried about Sarah from work? I think more people probably do read/try things after two people have told them that they'll like it, even if it's just subconsciously remembering that they've heard of it before.

Owllady Thu 10-Mar-16 22:49:05

My husband never listens to me either grin

EatShitDerek Thu 10-Mar-16 22:49:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SistersOfPercy Thu 10-Mar-16 22:52:11

I've just finished that. Dh won't read books (unless it's a football Programme or scar manual) but he's listened intently as I've told him bits of the story.
I've now refused to tell him the ending so as not to ruin the movie for him grin

He probably is taking the Piss.

SistersOfPercy Thu 10-Mar-16 22:52:44

Car manual dammit

Jelliebabe1 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:53:50

My oh does this ALL the time! I'll say isn't this or that good? Or have you seen this/tried that.... Until one of his pals have recommended it then I !ay as well just flap my gums! 😁. When they say it he's all over it!

theclick Thu 10-Mar-16 22:54:36

I would be pissed. I mean seriously what is it about them where what we say is in one ear out the other?

Owllady Thu 10-Mar-16 22:54:51

I have to hear about a young woman called something too who is too young and clever to look twice at him <cries laughing>

RubbleBubble00 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:56:05

Lol. Walk away and shake head

Fatmomma99 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:56:18

Actually, I think it's beyond hurtful. Please show him your post and clock his reaction.

I think it's great book with a terrible ending, btw.

resipsa Thu 10-Mar-16 22:58:47

My husband does this too but not just to me, I've realised. He resists all recommendations from my family. Hey, his loss, I think.

zodiackelly Thu 10-Mar-16 22:58:57

That's terrible! I'd be shaking I'd be so angry, does he do this kind of stuff often? Because I wouldn't stand for it, have a talk to him about it because I really think things could build and build into something worse if you don't sort it now. Best of luck smile

NeedACleverNN Thu 10-Mar-16 23:08:29

Can't you say something like

"Have you read the bit where so and so happen?"

When he says "how did you know that?"

"Oh well I read it months ago and told you all about it. Nice to see you listen to me"

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Thu 10-Mar-16 23:12:06

YANBU. He didn't listen to you so couldn't remember you mentioning it, yet was attentive enough to remember Sarah telling him. That would piss me off.

oxfordyvonne Thu 10-Mar-16 23:15:24

Hahah yes I said something to that effect NeedACleverNN and he's being very apologetic now, says that when I recommended it he thought it would be another Martina Cole-like novel (which he hates) so I suppose I'll forgive him this time... wink

CocktailQueen Thu 10-Mar-16 23:15:26

Zodiac, really? Overreaction or sarcasm?

oxfordyvonne Thu 10-Mar-16 23:17:15

zodiackelly It is definitely not as extreme as that!

zodiackelly Thu 10-Mar-16 23:28:45

Sorry, that was just my interpretation from reading. Maybe it's not quite at that stage, but a similar situation happened with my friend, I warned her it would happen and it did. I'm usually very good when it comes to predicting the future, but sorry, hope you 2 are fine now smile I think communication is key for this situation.

Maryz Thu 10-Mar-16 23:29:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

damepeanutbutter Thu 10-Mar-16 23:33:54

Ggggrrrr!

My DH will not go to see a film at the cinema with me unless he gets a recommendation from someone else first to confirm my original statement.

I don't go with him to the cinema any more. His loss.

Canyouforgiveher Thu 10-Mar-16 23:37:28

Have you seen the Modern Family episode about the wedge salad?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now