Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think my husband is correct

(21 Posts)
Catvsworld Thu 10-Mar-16 21:58:50

We are currently get ting our kitchen done and choose a IKEA kitchen witch have tall deep units lovey

We brought the legs that go with the kitchen units however the builder had said they weren't very sturdy and brought standard legs with make the units about 5cm higher than the standard

My husband is making be feel awful and feel quite bullied by him o can't sit all day and watch the builder I have 3 children and in any case I no nothing about building work the first day when he set the leg on husband came home said there a it high then said no more more work was then done work tops now on sink in and yesterday he complained at me I

Then said do you want me to say somthing to the builder he kept changing his mind then said no

Now today's he's telling me we waisted 5 grand most likely devalued our home and now most of the works been completed there's not much that can be done
Really gets me the Kitchen has had the high legs for a few days and he should of said then

He keeps saying its looks strange because the dishwasher and washing machine don't sit flush under the work top
It looks a little night but tbh it's a good hight for me cooking and chopping ect

Apart from stressing me out what's the blinking point of saying now I am sure even as late as yesterday I could of said somthing to the builder but he told me not to and I no he's just going to keep moaning about it for years to come

Don't think anything can be done as the work tops are screwed into the wall ect I just wished he fucking said somthing

I did say when we come to sell witch won't be for at least 10 years we can replace the kitchen as most of the cost this time was knocking out a wall and re jigging the way the kitchen was set up

Have we waisted the money is this a awful mistake

Please note were about half way through the build everything else is fine

EveOnline2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:02:53

The cupboard by the washing machine needs to go up on legs. Then kick boards to cover the legs.

The appliances looks odd either way.

CaptainCrunch Thu 10-Mar-16 22:04:17

Again?

EveOnline2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:06:22

Unless you could get an extending draw under the appliances to use as a chopping station

RubbleBubble00 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:09:10

Could u not raise appliances up and have the sitting on box and raising cupboard behind with kick board going all the way around

RubbleBubble00 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:09:50

Build platform for them to sit on

bakeoffcake Thu 10-Mar-16 22:09:52

Sorry but they do look odd.

I think I'd lower the worktop just over the washing machine and dishwasher. I've seen kitchens where this has been done and it looks fine.

bakeoffcake Thu 10-Mar-16 22:10:51

Eve's idea is good.

ThreadyPants Thu 10-Mar-16 22:12:19

I think much more practically - if it's a comfortable height for you chopping/prepping then what's the problem? You say you're going to be there at least 10 years, do it for how you see fit for use.

OrangePeels Thu 10-Mar-16 22:13:13

Just raise up the appliances and add a kick board. It'll be fine!

EveOnline2016 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:14:23

Your appliances with have legs as well for balance reason. Just did my dishwasher for photo purpose.

Raise them and follow around for kick board

RJnomore1 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:15:48

Ooh I love a good towel thread you manky lot grin

RJnomore1 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:17:05

Eh? Sorry wrong thread I don't know how that happened

DustyMaiden Thu 10-Mar-16 22:19:20

Get two more units and integrated appliances, or build a cupboard around the appliances.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 10-Mar-16 22:21:26

Did you not just post this?

lighteningirl Thu 10-Mar-16 22:26:47

You've already posted this

BennyTheBall Thu 10-Mar-16 22:35:21

Groundhog day.

BestZebbie Thu 10-Mar-16 22:36:05

...I have just checked our kitchen, and our appliances have the same sort of random gap above them.
The only thing is, that you can't see it because they have fake cupboard doors stuck to the fronts and a kickboard all the way around the kitchen at the bottom. As you said 'units', are you expecting to have doors or panelling all round the kitchen boxing in everything, or is the part over the appliances just a worktop to match the worktop on top of the blue cupboards?

Chippednailvarnish Thu 10-Mar-16 22:53:33

DH has pointed out that your plug sockets aren't legal - if you spill anything on the worktop you may well electrocute yourself if the liquid hits the socket.
He also thinks your builder has fucked something else up and this is his way of hiding it.

HorseDentist Thu 10-Mar-16 23:05:44

Most kitchen units are too low for me and I end up with terrible shoulder pain if I have to stoop over to wash up. Your kitchen sounds ideal!
It looks lovely and no one will give a flying fart about the gap above and I'm sure you will find it useful as a little storage nook in the long run.

RubbleBubble00 Thu 10-Mar-16 23:19:33

I'd say the sockets were set before builder decided to add 5cm in height to the units

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now