to dread work tomorrow?

(9 Posts)
greenduckleft Thu 10-Mar-16 21:13:59

It is an awful situation.

A junior colleague was recruited to be trained up. She came in, was obviously extremely right for the (quite niche) role, everything tickety-boo. However, the lady responsible for training her had to move house due to her partner's job, and we couldn't fill the post.

Someone managed to talk the woman who did the job previously (retired years ago) to come back. She's a nightmare- total eccentrically and very abrasive. She's also completely incompetent. Poor junior colleague has had to basically do all of her work and train herself up at the same time, on about half the wage of the retired woman.

Junior has obviously lost it this week and she has been rude to her. I think she's at the end of her tether.

(a few details have obviously been changed to protect the innocent)

I have to go in and mediate tomorrow (although I am not in charge of either of them hmm )

MrsArthurShappey Thu 10-Mar-16 23:49:19

Oh god, I don't envy you! I have no advice I'm afraid but you caught my eye when I accidentally clicked unanswered threads so I thought I'd bump for you grin

FlyingRussianUnicorn Fri 11-Mar-16 00:14:06

No advice OP but sure it will be fine.

For the record- im side Junior Collegue.

Katenka Fri 11-Mar-16 05:43:25

Why do you have to mediate?

I have only mediated staff who work for me. It's bloody hard. Do you not have a manager you can get to do it?

EarlyInTheMourning Fri 11-Mar-16 06:16:12

It sounds like it is be your job responsibility to mediate and someone's passing the buck. Couldn't you refuse?

QuiteLikely5 Fri 11-Mar-16 06:19:51

The lady has a job role that she clearly cannot execute! You need to speak to the people who hired her and tell them she is incompetent

The new woman needs to be reminded that she ought to be professional and if she is feeling frustrated with other staff she should be going to management with her concerns - I guess in this case she didn't and snapped!

winchester1 Fri 11-Mar-16 06:20:15

Are you in a position to go to management and explain the junior is doing all the work and if they don't take action quick they will loose them. Retired cant do her own job let alone cover juniors.
I think the only mediation is to be friendly try to get retired to realise it isn't workin and isn't worth their hassel when they were free of work before.

OliviaStabler Fri 11-Mar-16 06:29:42

If you have to mediate, I'd start by asking how each of them think it is going. While on the outside you can see things clearly, you should establish what they see as the issues as this might highlight other factors you are not aware of and / or show where they simply are not aware of their behaviour.

Good luck.

Clearoutre Fri 11-Mar-16 07:40:52

What genius brought this lady out of retirement?!

If the junior is training herself & looks promising then just do some lip-service mediation and leave her to it - tell her she's doing well given the change in circumstance and work with her to choose some training courses.

I'm doubtful the retired lady is going to improve from what you've said and you risk losing your junior because of her...she could be damaging the junior's career before it's even begun.

I hope you get somewhere...let us know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now