Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why Ikea are allergic to poppers (and other impracticalities)

(31 Posts)
puzzledbyadream Thu 10-Mar-16 11:16:45

Another night, another morning waking up to find my duvet has fallen out of my Ikea duvet cover. Is it really so hard for them to put poppers or buttons along the opening? I know I could sew them on myself...

There must be other things with little impracticalities like this. Toasters that don't fit a whole slice of bread, anyone?

BarbaraofSeville Thu 10-Mar-16 11:20:19

Cost reducing innit. I bought poppers cheaply on ebay and added my own.

Lol at the bread/toaster. I recently bought a new toaster that had a big sticker on the side boasting that it was designed to fit Warburtons toastie bread in it. Still doesn't bloody fit all the time. I even took a cardboard toast template to Currys to 'try on' all the toasters.

It was the best of a load of crap options and it still does one side darker than the other.

Oysterbabe Thu 10-Mar-16 11:20:29

Not IKEA but MIL has a microwave that doesn't quite fit a normal size dinner plate, and therefore my steriliser.

MaidOfStars Thu 10-Mar-16 11:20:29

My Ikea duvet covers have got poppers or buttons??

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 10-Mar-16 11:22:27

If you put bread in "landscape orientation" I've found most toasters are fine.

Yanbu about the poppers.

HanarCantWearSweaters Thu 10-Mar-16 11:23:45

I have on Ikea duvet with a zip which is very handy. The other has bloody ties on it - ties I tell you! At least half a dozen and 3 on each pillowcase too. Taking it on and off is such a faff. but it looks nice

puzzledbyadream Thu 10-Mar-16 11:26:04

Love the cardboard toast template!

ExConstance Thu 10-Mar-16 11:26:23

HCWS - is that the linen one? I have one of those and it is a real trial and tribulation doing up all the little knots. One of the reasons I'm in the "filthy" category on the thread about how often you wash your bed linen.

hiddenhome2 Thu 10-Mar-16 11:27:50

Ikea duvets and their covers are almost square as well. I remember when duvets were rectangular so that both your feet and shoulders could be covered at the same time. When I bought Ikea bedding, I was dismayed to find that you couldn't keep everything covered confused I'm not very tall either. I've gone back to sheets and blankets now.

I thought Swedish people were quite tall. Do Swedish people not mind having cold feet or shoulders? Is the bedding made especially for the UK market and do ikea consider us to be tiny?

So many questions confused

AdrenalineFudge Thu 10-Mar-16 11:30:05

I once received a kettle as a gift that didn't have the capacity to fit enough water for a normal sized cup of tea confused

guerre Thu 10-Mar-16 11:34:45

Swedes have a single duvet each, I believe!

hiddenhome2 Thu 10-Mar-16 11:37:12

Yes, but even the single duvets are too short. They're all too short. They're not properly rectangular.

Jibberjabberjooo Thu 10-Mar-16 11:38:18

I rented a flat once with an IKEA oven which didn't contain a grill. Who the hell builds an oven without a grill setting?

HanarCantWearSweaters Thu 10-Mar-16 11:43:42

Yes Ex that's the one!

I'm in the same category as you

SistersOfPercy Thu 10-Mar-16 11:46:53

MIL has a microwave that doesn't quite fit a normal size dinner plate

I have one of these, a Whirlpool Max. It's an amazing thing. Because of it I bought smaller plates, smaller plates = smaller portions. Smaller portions = weight loss grin

As for Ikea, the cheap thing doesn't wash with me. Primark bedding is cheaper than Ikea (and bloody brilliant quality) yet it comes with poppers!

BillSykesDog Thu 10-Mar-16 11:50:59

I thought this was going to be about drugs.

SmellySourdough Thu 10-Mar-16 11:55:57

hidden have you been buying a children's duvet?
mine are 2m long, plenty long enough for 6ft me.

magicstar1 Thu 10-Mar-16 12:00:35

I have the Ikea Dvala duvet covers, and they have poppers along the bottom. The doubles are 200 cm square, which is over 6' so I can't see what the problem is?

banivani Thu 10-Mar-16 12:13:24

Hrm being a Swede I must intervene on Ikea's behalf (it's the law or something). I do believe you in the UK have some special sizes of bedding. We have single duvets and duvet covers that are 150x200 cm and doubles that are 220x240. They cover just fine. I actually checked UK Ikea site (pathetic as I am, but I'm listening to the audio file of a meeting I've already sat through, waiting for one particular bit...), and there is a different double that's 200x200 and that would be small now. I find that singles of 150x200 covers just fine though. grin I don't know what tall people do.

Never mind poppers, have never had trouble with duvet falling out, what are you up to at night? grin It's a lot more annoying that they've cost reduced away the openings at the top of the duvet cover so it's easier to shake the duvet through the cover when you're changing sheets. Feckers.

Princesspeach1980 Thu 10-Mar-16 12:45:59

My new IKEA bedding even has buttons on the pillowcases! They seem to have gone from one extreme to the other

JanetOfTheApes Thu 10-Mar-16 12:50:05

Ikea bedding: premium ranges have either popper or buttons, depending on price. Cheaper ranges have none.

Arpege Thu 10-Mar-16 12:53:37

I agree! But my beef is with the dual season duvets. DD has one that you can make winter weight by poppering the two lighter duvets together. It only has poppers on the corners though so although the corners are tethered the top duvet slides down in the middle of the head end so that effectively she only has the one duvet covering her. It needs an extra popper in the middle of the side. Irritating.

Bedding sizes are different in almost every European country and then ikea has its own odd system which also differs. I've moved around Europe a lot and consequently have a random collection of non fitting bits of bedding.

Fannycraddock79 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:01:26

I have a normal sized dishwasher that I can't got normal sized dinner plates in the bottom tray/shelf. If I load them normally (standing up) the spinny thing hits them on its way round. We have to put them in backwards and slanting downwards.

hiddenhome2 Thu 10-Mar-16 13:08:23

No, not children's duvets. Just the normal ones.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 10-Mar-16 13:11:13

My Ikea plates didn't fit in my old MFI? cupboards. Luckily I now have an Ikea kitchen with plenty of room for their extra large plates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now