To think changing bedsheets once a week is ott

(567 Posts)
Moomoomango Thu 10-Mar-16 05:39:26

Another week has whizzed past, feels like yesterday I changed all the beds. They look and smell fine, surely if I only change beds once every 2 weeks we will still all survive. I could spend 30 minutes with my feet up drinking tea once in a while. Aibu?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 10-Mar-16 05:43:07

Sorry yes, and a bit gross. Do you know how much sweat and skin is lost?!!

I personally do ours every 3 days.....blush

ImogenTubbs Thu 10-Mar-16 05:46:35

YANBU. We do ours every week (as a general rule), but I'm pretty confident you will survive (and a cup of tea with your feet up sounds lovely).

Secretlove Thu 10-Mar-16 05:54:21

I have never done mine once a week. Maybe once a fortnight when I had a sweaty hairy smelly partner. Now it's just me, they never seem grubby so I leave them even longer.

NoArmaniNoPunani Thu 10-Mar-16 05:56:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Thu 10-Mar-16 05:56:29

Invest in a bottle of fabreeze (sp) ;)

Qwebec Thu 10-Mar-16 05:58:22

every 3 day? shock

I try to do it every week, but realistically it's more once per 2-3 weeks.
I don't sweat and DP's sweat does not smell at all so it's not needed often.

ICJump Thu 10-Mar-16 06:00:00

Every couple of weeks here. I wish it was more but I just can't.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 10-Mar-16 06:02:03

Trust me, you do sweat- just because you don't see it or smell it, it is there. You also drool on your pillows and she'd skin like you wouldn't believe. Truly gross!

I have 3 sets of bedding for each bed, so one went on today, on Fri I'll strip it and wash it and put different one on, then again on sun. It only takes me 5 mins to do our bed if that, and DD1 does hers so it's hardly a chore!

Even if it was it would be worth it for the lovely crisp sheets!

Costacoffeeplease Thu 10-Mar-16 06:02:05

Every week without fail here, even through major surgeries and recovery - love getting into a nice clean bed

PageStillNotFound404 Thu 10-Mar-16 06:05:11

I shifted to changing the sheets every 2-3 weeks years ago OP. Neither DH or I have died yet, nor developed any disfiguring skin diseases. No one has forced me to carry a bell and croak "unclean" as I approach. The only material differences were that my electricity bill went down a fraction because I'm using the tumble dryer less frequently, and I swear every 2-3 weeks instead of weekly.

gingerdad Thu 10-Mar-16 06:05:12

Fortnightly here. Don't see any need to do it more frequently.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 10-Mar-16 06:05:50

uk.businessinsider.com/how-often-you-should-wash-your-bed-sheets-germs-2015-10

I do mine ( king size ) once a week on a Friday.
I change dc 2x single beds around 3 times a week, dd wets the bed now and again and I've just got into the habit of doing.
Ds has asc and likes everything fresh, it can be a nightmare sad

VulcanWoman Thu 10-Mar-16 06:14:23

About 4 times a year.

leelu66 Thu 10-Mar-16 06:15:54

Whatthefreakin

Yes, you're putting those lovely fresh sheets on a mattress and pillows teeming with dust mites, sweat, bacteria.

We can't escape it, short of changing mattress every few months and washing pillows often too.

I would also feel too bad for the environment, if I changed my sheets more than every 2-3 weeks.

sportinguista Thu 10-Mar-16 06:16:57

Every week without fail here. More if they smell sweaty especially in summer. But good thing is you can line dry in half a day in summer so it's not a problem.

NightWanderer Thu 10-Mar-16 06:20:57

Once a week. I also hang the pillows out to air if the weather is nice.

I just do it at the weekend, it's part of my routine.

Colchestergal Thu 10-Mar-16 06:23:40

Every week and I hoover the mattress and pillows every month. Less than every week is grim imo.

Meeep Thu 10-Mar-16 06:24:31

"How often do you change your sheets?" are the best threads on mumsnet.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Thu 10-Mar-16 06:25:05

If it takes you 30 mins to strip the bed and wash them your doing it wrongconfused

I do the kids once a week but our every ten days or so.

PageStillNotFound404 Thu 10-Mar-16 06:25:13

soortinguista 'You' can line dry if you have somewhere to put a washing line. Not everyone does.

Junosmum Thu 10-Mar-16 06:27:20

I change top and bottom sheet 2/3 weekly and pillow cases that we sleep on weekly. The duvet cover and other pillow cases are done every 2-3weeks as we don't come in to as much contact with those. I only do the sheets as often as I do as I'm breastfeeding a 9 week old so they are regularly covered in breast milk and baby sick!

winchester1 Thu 10-Mar-16 06:28:55

Why do we care about our own skin and dust mites though? They are in the mattress anyway and if your not asthmatic and have no allergies why do they matter.
We are every 3-4 weeks and no allergies etc

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 10-Mar-16 06:30:29

These threads are fun smile

Personally I'm of the opinion that a bit if sweat and dead skin isn't going to kill anything one. So they probably get changed 2/3weeks here.

Now I've marked my place to enjoy the hygiene hysteria grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now