Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you to make this career decision for me? Option 1 or 2?

(24 Posts)
Nicebucket Thu 10-Mar-16 05:29:50

I'll keep this brief.

I work in banking - the business I work for is being sold to an American company. I'm under a TSA agreement as part of the TUPE law which means I move with the business once it's all handed over.

Now, the big boss of our department had initially made me deal that I'll sign the TSA but not actually move because he'd find me something else within the bank.

Unfortunately, the company the business is being sold to (let's call it company A) found out and there's been a shitstorm.

Initially they were willing to give me some time to figure things out and find other roles within the bank as long as I gave them notice to replace me.

But now I'm sensing resentment and a lot of pressure from company A to move with them.

If I choose to keep trying within the bank (and at the moment, if you know what banking is like, you'll know that there are no roles there whatsoever), I'll have to give notice to company A, and be put on a redundancy list with my present employer- I'll then have 30-45 days to find a new role.

This would have all been easier if there were internal job opportunities available whereby I could have had an informal agreement with the hiring manager of a team within the bank before saying no to company A.

So now I'm thinking about the decision that I have to make. Stay with the bank and take my chances or move with company A

Keep in mind that I'm on a work permit, haven't got residency yet. So a redundancy would mean getting kicked out the country. This is why job security is more important to me than anything else.

Option 1- moving

1. I've done this role for two years and I'm pretty much an expert at it. I'm a go-to contact and people give me very positive feedback for my work

2. I'm familiar with all the people who are moving to company A, and it's like a small family. A very close knit community. My managers are basically nice people who I get on with largely.

3. The drawbacks are that the role is pretty specialised. It's related to commodities, so it's rather niche. If I change my mind later on, it might be hard to get back into banking.

4. I've already pissed a lot of people off here with my dilly dallying about whether I'm moving. Not sure if there will be backlash when I move over.

5. This company isn't as big a "brand" as the bank I work for. It's a commodities trading house, and given where that market is going, I'm not sure what the future of this company might be.

Option -2 Staying and taking a chance on finding a role within the bank

1. I'll have to start from scratch in a completely new team. I'll be a newbie again and have to learn everything, all the systems and specifics from scratch. I know this is lazy of me, but I hate that thought. I also love being an expert and I hate the idea of being the lowliest one in the team again.

2. I get to keep the "brand" on my CV if I stay.

3. Banking means redundancies every year due to costs being cut and new regulations coming in. Being the newest one in whatever team I move to, I'll be at a higher risk of redundancy next year.

4. You never really know a role until you've done it, and for all you know I might hate the job I end up getting within the bank. I might hate the team I work with?!

5. The bank is more experienced with sponsoring and extending work permits. So they kind of win a little there.

What shall I do?! I don't want to be stupid and take so long to make a decision that I end up with neither option and get kicked out of UK.

Please tell me what you'd do in my place.

PolpoPolpo Thu 10-Mar-16 05:39:54

From what you've written option one sounds like the most sensible and rewarding option. The only real downside being that it's quite niche - but as you said, that makes you the expert.

Good luck with making your choice I hope it goes well whatever path you decide to take.

Nicebucket Thu 10-Mar-16 05:48:25

Thank you! And thanks for actually reading such a long post smile

Smellyrose Thu 10-Mar-16 05:58:15

It looks like option B would have more chance of redundancy and, therefore, being kicked out of the country do I would go for option A.

Junosmum Thu 10-Mar-16 06:34:15

Option one. It has more job security, which is your priority. Option 2 could easily leave you with no job and having to leave the country (which I'm pretty sure you don't want).

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 10-Mar-16 06:38:39

Option one. More security. Use them to get residency and then you can start exploring other options if you wish.

Nicebucket Thu 10-Mar-16 06:53:54

Thanks all

Honestly, there are people who have told me that even option 1 with company A can be dicey if company A goes bust (since it's so new and since commodity prices are rock bottom) But I have 2.5 more years before I get residency. I'm assuming they'll last another 2.5 years before they go totally bust if that's what going to happen

PeggyBlomquist Thu 10-Mar-16 07:08:22

I would choose option A. There seems to be less downsides.

Nicebucket Thu 10-Mar-16 08:06:30

Another concern with option 1-

I've already pissed them so much they now think I don't really want the job because I took so long to decide.

I'm worried about backlash when I do move over... Perhaps they may even want to fire me because they're pissed off, who knows

AddToBasket Thu 10-Mar-16 08:11:08

Option 2.

You've shown that you'd rather stay with the brand. Too late not to, I reckon.

PolpoPolpo Thu 10-Mar-16 08:21:39

Nothing is 100% certain in life OP, but you'll feel so much more positive when you make a final decision. As for how the company will react, you just have to make a definitive decision, odds are they will be grateful you've finally decided.

As long as you're positive and express your enthusiasm to work with them they should understand that you needed time to adjust to the changes and make a decision.

whois Thu 10-Mar-16 08:26:29

Until you get residency you need to prioritise job security. Go for option 1 and work really hard at your network so that further down the line you are well placed to make a move if you desire.

stumblymonkey Thu 10-Mar-16 08:50:52

I would go with Option 1...a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

I'm sure you can smooth things over with them....find out which manager(s) are pissed off with your 'dilly-dallying' and catch up with them and acknowledge what happened, explain a little of what your dilemma was and then really play up all of the positives about their company that persuaded you to stay.

SpidersFromMars Thu 10-Mar-16 09:23:18

Option A.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 10-Mar-16 10:36:09

Option A unless you have an actual job offer in writing from your existing company.

Why would you choose an "at risk" situation over an actual job?

Also, one of the not so nice factors of TUPE is that until the actual day of new service, A won't have any guarantees that you will actually turn up on your first day [or so I am lead to believe anyway] so if B makes you a great offer at the last minute you still have the opportunity to royally piss off A and walk away.

Nicebucket Thu 10-Mar-16 11:10:31

Given my luck, just as soon as I say yes to A, some amazing roles will open up in the bank.

Bloody hell. This is so difficult.

stumblymonkey Thu 10-Mar-16 11:11:59

Then backtrack and go Option B?

You're not signing something in blood by going for Option A wink

Nicebucket Thu 10-Mar-16 13:01:08

I need big boss's support and recommendation to do anything within the bank I am at just now. He's supportive so far but if I announce I want to go and then backtrack to ask his recommendation he might be massively pissed off

RockUnit Thu 10-Mar-16 13:06:36

Option 1.

In your OP, when you give the reasons for Option 1 you sound a lot more positive than in Option 2.

stumblymonkey Thu 10-Mar-16 13:17:18

Meh. He might be pissed off but if you're not working for him any more then... <gallic shrug>

It's business. Shit happens.

If I backtracked I'd explain to the hiring manager that I'd changed my mind and why and let them know that said Senior Manager had got the hump about it.

Do you have a LinkedIn profile?

Maybe start gathering recommendations from previous colleagues and managers just in case you need them and then Senior Manager's recommendation is less important...

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 10-Mar-16 16:49:17

I need big boss's support and recommendation to do anything within the bank I am at just now. He's supportive so far but if I announce I want to go and then backtrack to ask his recommendation he might be massively pissed off

Get his recommendation now on Linkedin if you see an opportunity.

Sit Big Boss down and simply say that you are now in an impossible position. That you appreciate that he/she would like to keep you on at any cost, in any role but if he fails to do so, you will be deported. Company A want a decision by X date and are turning nasty so you feel that you have no choice but to accept their offer.
Then ask if there is a non-solicitation clause and say that you would be very happy to be considered as an applicant / rehired when the business is more stable and the non solicit period is over or to apply for any publicly advertised jobs which usually gets you and them around a non solicit clause if given a quiet nod that they are about to be advertised

Nicebucket Fri 11-Mar-16 06:05:40

When I said recommendation I meant for internal jobs if I decided to stay within the bank.

Linked In is completely useless for that.

And the way it works is that I can't move internally without Big Boss signing off on it and sending a written recommendation to my new manager. And it's got to be big boss, without his go-ahead I can't move internally. Just the way the hiring process works in the bank.

Gobbolino6 Fri 11-Mar-16 06:49:58

I'd go with option 1.

SmellOfPythonInTheMorning Fri 11-Mar-16 07:30:25

Option A. Hiring freezes mean that internal moves are really difficult to go by (I could have written your post a couple of years ago).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now