Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that it's not acceptable to walk on someone's Pilates mat?

(22 Posts)
29PaddingtonSt Wed 09-Mar-16 22:10:48

I'll admit I do have issues with feet but it's really not on to walk over someone's mat is it? Tonight three people, including the instructor, walked on my mat with their scabby bare feet. When I cross the room I carefully walk around everyone's mats. Surely that's just good manners? I don't want my face on my mat where someone's feet have been!

whatdoIget Wed 09-Mar-16 22:14:22

I wouldn't walk on someone's mat but I've noticed in yoga that a lot of people do. They just see it as part of the floor. Presumably it's not something that they think about. I completely agree with you but I think we're probably in a minority. The only thing to do really is just try and not think about it, they're only feet.

YouTheCat Wed 09-Mar-16 22:16:30

Shabby behaviour to walk over someone's mat. Gits.

RedOnHerHedd Wed 09-Mar-16 22:18:19

Completely agree with you. I'm not a fan of feet and it would gross me out quite a bit too confused

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 09-Mar-16 22:18:44

I wouldn't walk on someone else's mat, feels a bit wrong. Mind you I like to do yoga in my living room to avoid such situations (DC are well trained)

megletthesecond Wed 09-Mar-16 22:21:41

Yanbu. Walk round them.

TaraCarter Wed 09-Mar-16 22:28:23

I can't get hung up over walking over mats as most people just use one from the studio's own pile. The mats look less "gently used" and more "500,000 miles on the clock"

Minshu Wed 09-Mar-16 22:29:30

I did this in yoga the other week and was mortified when I realised I'd done it - and am even more so now seeing your reactions! blush

29PaddingtonSt Wed 09-Mar-16 22:36:13

Glad it's not just me! I never use one of the studios own mats Tara precisely because of my issues with feet! confused

ifyoulikepinacolada Wed 09-Mar-16 22:41:34

It's allowed if you're the instructor - how else are you going to adjust people? - but not if you're anyone else! Urgh. So inconsiderate.

mineofuselessinformation Wed 09-Mar-16 22:43:14

I practice yoga, and do face-down poses in my mat. Personally I think it's bad manners.

ReginaBlitz Wed 09-Mar-16 22:50:01

You can get verrucas on any part of the body.. Get checked out ASAP

midlifehope Wed 09-Mar-16 23:24:10

Lol must be the night for bad exercise manners - see my Aibu!

KeyserSophie Thu 10-Mar-16 00:31:09

Not sure about pilates, but in yoga it's a massive no-no to walk on someone else's mat. This is even when the studio is jammed and there's exactly 3 mm between mats. You can only go to those classes if you're zen enough to levitate grin

Walkacrossthesand Thu 10-Mar-16 00:51:43

regina, how do you mean 'get checked out for verrucas'? Not even a doctor can see the virus on the skin, and by the time the skin has built up to form a verruca, you don't need to be a Dr to see it! confused

McPie Thu 10-Mar-16 07:58:26

YADNBU someone walked over mine in their shoes once and trod dog crap over it, I was so annoyed trying to scrub it off. I couldn't even consider using it like that so I had to turn it over to the wrong side and in the end had to buy a new mat. Luckily it was a £7 mat I had had for a bit and needed a new one but that's not the point.
Centre mats are my idea of hell, the same ones that were manky when I started 3 12 years ago are still being used despite moving into a brand new centre 2 1/2 years ago!

CurbsideProphet Thu 10-Mar-16 08:04:19

YANBU I would agree that it's not The Done Thing to walk on mats that belong to other people. I always use my own mat and do not want other people to put their feet on it.
McPie was this person at your class? How horrible!

PegsPigs Thu 10-Mar-16 08:08:02

Verrucas are warts but on the foot so technically you can't get verrucas on any part of your body as they're called warts. And of all the silly things I've seen on MN about 'getting checked out' that takes the biscuit

YANBU. It's courteous not to walk over someone's personal space.

fieldfare Thu 10-Mar-16 08:11:00

Yadnbu, it's rather rude. When you've spread your mat out you've marked our "your" space.
I wouldn't mind the instructor walking on it though as she adjusts my posture or stretch but I'd be a bit aghast at someone else walking on it.

29PaddingtonSt Thu 10-Mar-16 10:21:26

McPie shockshock Did you say anything to the person that did it? That's awful!

Lebranic Thu 10-Mar-16 10:28:16

I am a bit other people germ phobic but I worry about the part of my mat that has touched the studio floor, then when I roll it up the contaminated part touches the clean part....

29PaddingtonSt Thu 10-Mar-16 10:46:53

Lebranic- You need a mat like mine that's a different colour on each side. I always know which side is the floor side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now