Aibu to have a 3rd baby

(15 Posts)
Moomoomango Wed 09-Mar-16 19:54:12

We are a low income family of 20,000 per annum including child benefit - but have no rent as we outright own our home. Would it be really irresponsible to have a third baby on this income?

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 09-Mar-16 19:54:46

No

friendlyfoxes Wed 09-Mar-16 19:55:06

Yes.

friendlyfoxes Wed 09-Mar-16 19:55:25

smile there you go op, clear as mud.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 09-Mar-16 19:57:14

If you can afford it. No. If you can't, yes.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Wed 09-Mar-16 19:57:33

Pmsl friendly

Wineandchease Wed 09-Mar-16 19:57:42

Can you meet your other costs ? If so and you feel you can support it - no I don't think you are been unreasonable .

friendlyfoxes Wed 09-Mar-16 20:01:41

To go into a bit more detail OP, I think more than two children generally is a wee bit selfish. That's not a personal judgement on you or anybody else, just a general point.

Moomoomango Wed 09-Mar-16 20:01:46

We get on great at the moment - we stick within our means, don't smoke or drink & have one uk holiday a year. save all clothes and toys as hand me downs. Generally buy new clothes in sales etc, we don't have much left over in terms of savings but we don't have any credit cards or debts. But not sure if a third baby would tip the balance

Moomoomango Wed 09-Mar-16 20:04:15

Forgot to add we already have a 7 seater car & have a three bedroom home so costs to those areas wouldn't change

BrieAndChilli Wed 09-Mar-16 20:04:53

We have 3 children and double your income although do pay rent.
We find it OK but not sure we could cope on much less- and I don't buy brands, lots of charity shop/eBay an cheap asda type clothes etc so don't live extravagantly

BrieAndChilli Wed 09-Mar-16 20:07:56

It's fine when they are small but mine are all primary age now and it's things like school trips (£30 each 😱) school shoes (over £120) plus all the other uniform adds up even with passing DS1 stuff to DS2. Activities swimming lessons, birthday parties etc etc

BrieAndChilli Wed 09-Mar-16 20:08:48

And forget about cheap holidays or hotel rooms. Everything is for 2 kids.

Wineandchease Wed 09-Mar-16 20:11:51

Moon if that's the case could you look at increasing you're income in the future when they start to cost more ? For example does your husband have chance of promotion or do you have training so you could return to work part time ?

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 09-Mar-16 20:21:14

I suppose if you are worried a third might tip the balance then you need to think about potential to increase income by the time the theoretical baby starts costing money.

Shoes for example that cannot always be passed down. Then school age adds another packed lunch or school dinner and another set of school trips even if all uniform is handed down. If current 2 have the chance to do extra curricular stuff then it is another set of subs for clubs.

If those things added together would tip the balance then unless you can be reasonably confident of income increasing to cover the costs then I suppose you shouldn't. But then again you are in a good position with your home and no debt and there is always a way to cut your cloth and live in your means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now