Talk

Advanced search

To think having a dead animal on the wall is not quirky but rather gross and morbid?

(6 Posts)
GormlesslyGormed Wed 09-Mar-16 17:42:24

We have a little outhouse thing where we have bbqs, drink, entertain etc. It's wooden shack style with a fire burner and sofa etc in it. DH has been looking to decorate it with an animal head (like a deer etc). He's looked at taxidermy animals and skulls. I said to him just now (as he was looking at a bison head) "if you really need to get one of those can you not get a real one as I'm quite against that". (I'm an animal rights supporter so naturally it's not going to be on my list of preferable decor). Anyway he got all arsey and said "fine I won't bother then but it's not like I'm a hunter or anything is it, it's just something quirky to have up isn't it, a bit of fun".
AIBU to think that a) a dead animal is not fun and b) I should be able to express my opinion without the need for an arsey sarcastic response?

Bunbaker Wed 09-Mar-16 17:45:17

I don't care for them either. My late godmother used to live in a part of India where there were a lot of man eating tigers. This was in the days of the Raj, so a long time ago. She used to have tigers heads on the walls of her hallway.

littlejolee Fri 11-Mar-16 11:35:10

Yanbu at all. It's not like you said he couldn't have one at all, just could please not get an actual stuffed dead animal to hang on the wall. I'm not keen on them either, they freak me out with their real fur/noses etc and glass eyes. (I have no problem with leather or in some cases rabbit fur [my dads friend is a farmer and had a rabbit warren that was a pest control issue, killed the rabbits, made them into a pie and made hats/gloves out of the skin, ground the bones into meal for the crops] but trophy animal carcasses are gross IMO)

MyLifeisaboxofwormgears Fri 11-Mar-16 11:37:38

no - it isn't quirky, it is repulsive.
It encourage killing animals for no reason other than the serve the bad taste of humans.

molyholy Fri 11-Mar-16 11:43:12

There are loads of styles you can get now without it being real. Silver ones etc.

fieldfare Fri 11-Mar-16 11:58:00

Sorry, I disagree with you a bit.
I bought Dh a beautifully carved Buffalo skull for his birthday. It's from a part of the world that Buffalo is consumed, so not killed unnecessarily for just its skull. It's a by product that would otherwise have been thrown away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now