Talk

Advanced search

To have found sharing a bag a little stressful?

(44 Posts)
YesILikeItToo Wed 09-Mar-16 12:19:06

Went abroad by aeroplane for a night recently and travelled light. DH and I shared a bag about the size of a large handbag. It had one pocket on the outside.

It really messed with my head not having a handbag with me. I was utterly anxious about stuff falling out my pockets, which is not surprising I suppose because it's not what I am used to. But I also felt weird about not being in control over what was in the outside zip pocket of the bag and what was in the main bit. I put some mints in there at the airport and was unrelaxed about not knowing what criteria was being used in filling the outside pocket. confused

I don't think I'll do it this way again. Would you cope?

Katenka Wed 09-Mar-16 12:20:11

Yabu but I get it.

I feel weird having my stuff in a bag, that I don't have control of. grin

Iggi999 Wed 09-Mar-16 12:20:48

I wouldn't like it! Why on earth not take two bags on the plane?

JanetOfTheApes Wed 09-Mar-16 12:21:23

You could have just taken a handbag?

hesterton Wed 09-Mar-16 12:22:18

No. I would not cope. Not at all. There would be VERY HARD STARES should pocket confusion occur.

BayLeaves Wed 09-Mar-16 12:22:59

I'd happily share a suitcase or a holdall but I do need my own handbag, even a small one.

If we are going away and only bringing hand luggage, that means we have two its of hand luggage to share between us. So we would normally distribute our stuff between both bags, and I would bring an additional tiny handbag just for my phone, purse, lipstick etc. Then just before boarding it can be slipped into one of the larger two bags.

YesILikeItToo Wed 09-Mar-16 12:23:31

Yes janet having tried it I think I will take a handbag next time. It's good to be flexible, but this turned out to be a step too far.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 09-Mar-16 12:28:49

I think it's always a good idea to separate the stuff you need on the flight from the stuff you need at the destination, so would always take two bags. Even when travelling alone you can get away with it on most flights (wheelie case and smallish handbag which can be stuffed in the wheelie case if necessary).

Then you have easy access to money, passports, kindle/book, boarding passes, drinks and snacks etc without having to go rooting through your clean pants etc.

Cuttheraisins Wed 09-Mar-16 12:41:13

When I travel I always have a cross body handbag and check my passport tickets money about 1000 times! It would drive me nuts not to have one

Annarose2014 Wed 09-Mar-16 12:45:22

Nope nope nope. I need full bag autonomy at all times.

AdrenalineFudge Wed 09-Mar-16 12:47:32

Yabu, but I do understand what you mean. surely it would have been ok for you to also have a handbag in addition to the holdall too?

shovetheholly Wed 09-Mar-16 12:48:32

I have one of these for situations of ultra-light travel: www.rohan.co.uk/travel-bags-Stowaway-Daybag-15

It packs down to almost nothing. I then decant stuff from the big case into it when we arrive.

Most airlines, including Ryanair, are now very relaxed about you having a handbag and a suitcase, though!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 09-Mar-16 12:48:50

YANBU, I couldn't have coped with that at all.

When I fly I take a bumbag with passports/tickets/purse. This is attached to me at all times (except when going through the scanner) so I can't lose it. I have, before now, left my handbag by accident in an airport bar because I'd put it on the ground. I no longer do this. I did go back and retrieve it, just as the airport police were investigating it and asking me what the various oddments it contained were. < embarrassing>

I do also take a handbag, and a rucksack (and bags for the children) and have only once been asked to insert the bumbag into the rucksack (easily done, I always leave space for it just in case).

I have nothing except tissues in my actual pockets.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 09-Mar-16 12:51:05

I don't carry a bag. Someone else looking after the bag would make me very happy, I tend to leave the cabin bag with DP if I can.

I take everything I need in my pockets.

MrsJayy Wed 09-Mar-16 12:51:52

Oh no i need my own bag last time we went abroad we had an onboard holdall I hated it not sure why it just felt weird.

JapanNextYear Wed 09-Mar-16 12:54:55

I'd have needed somewhere for my stuff, so a small shoulder bag, carrier bag, big pockets -just somewhere for my stuff. I'm rather territorial.

But this means my DH just puts his stuff in my bag...hmmm.

We tried to share a suitcase once - nearly led to a divorce.

BabyGanoush Wed 09-Mar-16 12:55:54

a handbag does not count as luggage, why didn't you take one?!

MrsJayy Wed 09-Mar-16 12:58:35

She probably thought it will be fine it clearly wasnt fine

Jux Wed 09-Mar-16 12:58:45

I'd much rather use pockets than have to carry a bag, but I have too much stuff for pockets! I do have a sort of pouch thing which I can string round my neck for glasses, some notes perhaps, and maybe I could get a pack of mints in too, but it would get a bit heavy if I tried to stuff my pills in there too, not to mention.......
grin

specialsubject Wed 09-Mar-16 12:59:40

that's what I call light packing!

I hate handbags, nasty hand-filling clutter. I buy clothes with pockets, and if I have a lot to carry I use a small backpack.

ButtfaceMiscreant Wed 09-Mar-16 13:00:15

I am happy to share a suitcase with my DH, in fact we almost always do, but I would always have my own handbag/mini rucksack as well. Happy to carry DHs stuff in there for him, but the bag must be primarily mine!

YesILikeItToo Wed 09-Mar-16 13:01:10

I thought I didn't need one baby. But it turns out that I do.

It could have been good, you know, free and easy without a shoulder bag. But it wasn't easy. It was taxing on my brain.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 09-Mar-16 13:01:36

Is that you mother?

Apparently the idea of travelling handbag-less is just not cricket.

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 09-Mar-16 13:05:47

I wouldn't like this. I don't mind pockets, sometimes don't take a bag, but for travel?? Would have to take something small of my own. Even my smallest handbag could take a caseless Kindle in it.

What I hate as well is that when we go somewhere, dh will empty his pockets into my handbag, so I'm having to rummage past all his crap stuff to find the things I had lovingly placed in order within. Bugs the bejesus out of me.

I can't stand it when he puts things back in the wrong pockets of the changing bag. Share? SHARE? No.

diddl Wed 09-Mar-16 13:07:30

So you chose to put stuff in yourpockets rather than take a handbag?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now