Wearing slippers at work

(37 Posts)
pinklaydee Tue 08-Mar-16 15:56:20

I work in a large, open-plan office with lots of different teams working next to each other. Noticed today that someone at a nearby hot desk is wearing big, fluffy, animal print slippers. AIBU to think that's not the done thing to wear at work?
I'm trying to be light-hearted here, I know that what colleagues wear is none of my business, but I'm nosey curious!

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 08-Mar-16 15:58:33

I wear slippers at work..

Warm and comfy.

cuckoooo Tue 08-Mar-16 15:59:31

Perhaps they have a problem with their feet (bunions, corns etc)?

Or perhaps they don't care what people think and they want to be comfortable.

If they turn up tomorrow in a onesie, well that's another matter altogether.

LurkingHusband Tue 08-Mar-16 16:01:45

Even POTUS wears fluffy slippers grin

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 08-Mar-16 16:01:45

I had to wear non-shoes once when I had damaged my foot and it was all strapped up. I'd assume something similar here.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 08-Mar-16 16:02:29

king where do you work? shock grin I don't do it myself but they might have a good reason? Bunion or something.

Yulia989 Tue 08-Mar-16 16:02:45

There is a guy I work with who doesn't wear shoes once he gets to work. Claims his feet are too uncomfortable in them to wear all day.

He has crocs for when he takes his smoking breaks.

RitaVinTease Tue 08-Mar-16 16:03:13

I used to go bare foot in the office if I could get away with it, I wouldn't wear obviously slippers at work.

Sidge Tue 08-Mar-16 16:03:20

Crikey I've heard of dress down Friday but slippers at work is just odd. (Unless you work from home of course grin )

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 08-Mar-16 16:05:27

I work nights in a nursing home. Seems odd stomping about in shoes near delicate old lady feet.

KurriKurri Tue 08-Mar-16 16:10:01

Is it a new thing or have they always worn slippers. If new - it's a foot problem, if not they are just very laid back.

Ask them - (I want to know - also nosey) - walk past and say casually 'love your slippers' and see if they give an explanation.

I would wear slippers all the time if I could.

specialsubject Tue 08-Mar-16 16:13:39

unless there's an injury, usually a sign of someone who is too daft to buy shoes that do what shoes should. Surprised to see that men do this too.

slippers all the time isn't good for feet, no support.

pinklaydee Tue 08-Mar-16 16:17:05

I'd love to wear slippers to work! I know it's none of my beeswax, but it's a boring day at work! It's probably bunions or something, but she's walking ok.

chanelfreak Tue 08-Mar-16 16:20:46

My office is like the effing North Pole, so I've a pair of Uggs that I wear at my desk. If I have to go to the kitchen/loo/photocopier/meeting, I throw my heels back on. Slippers would be very much frowned upon in my place, hence the covert Uggs wearing - does your office have a dress code?

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 08-Mar-16 16:22:41

My DP walks around his office in his socks, he hates wearing shoes and trousers.

Marzipants Tue 08-Mar-16 16:24:33

There's a few massive geeks men who wear slippers at work in my office. Seems to be v popular amongst male techie types, strangely never adopted by the women.

daisychain01 Tue 08-Mar-16 16:25:49

OMG I'm jealous as hell now.

I'd give anything to wear slippers and PJ'S at work and have a power nap from t2t

Gatehouse77 Tue 08-Mar-16 16:27:30

DH doesn't wear slippers but takes his shoes off if he's in the office. Obviously, not if clients are about!

Babymouse Tue 08-Mar-16 16:32:21

I've worn slippers under my desk when it's been really cold at work out when my shoes have been wet to let them dry - but I don't walk around the office in them.

jay55 Tue 08-Mar-16 16:39:15

I wish the men in my office who walk round in socks would wear slippers.

CosyNook Tue 08-Mar-16 16:47:16

We have a policy about acceptable clothing to wear at work. For example, we are not allowed to wear flip flops, or strapless tops. I think slippers would fall into this category. Not professional, unless for medical purposes.

This it was put together by representatives from different departments, not management.

There is plenty of comfortable footwear to buy, it's not necessary to go bear footed.

stepmad Tue 08-Mar-16 21:25:09

I wear slippers at work every day but then I am a nanny so in a private household which is shoe free

ChemistryHunt Tue 08-Mar-16 21:28:31

A man who used to work in my office walked round bare foot all day, even into the toilets. The office manager was always sending emails round reminding people to keep the toilets clean with particular reference to "aiming". I always cringed at the thought of him stepping in puddles.

Slippers would have been a definite improvement.

emsyj Tue 08-Mar-16 21:28:54

I have a (male) work colleague who wears slippers in the office. Because he is really nice and very funny, I think it's fine. I would probably think it was a bit weird if I didn't like him so much! grin

youngestisapsycho Tue 08-Mar-16 21:31:53

I remove my shoes at work and just have socks on.... Small office of 5 women. I hate having shoes on at my desk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now