Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to call this man out on his littering?

(19 Posts)
whyistherumgone Tue 08-Mar-16 08:55:46

Should really be WAS I being unreasonable but hey! I was on a train earlier and a man came and sat on the other side of the aisle. Proceeded to down his bottle of ginger beer and casually drop it on the floor, eat crisps and chocolate bars from a carrier bag - wrappers duly went on the floor. Then he sits there burping and sniffing and hacking up into the carrier bag before dropping THAT on the floor too. At his stop he stood up and was about to head to the doors when I pointed out he had forgotten some of his belongings - his litter - and directed him to a bin at the end of the aisle. Yes I was cross - enraged actually - but I was very polite. He called me a c**t and stomped off the train.

Another passenger said I should have just left it - that the train has cleaners. But I think it's disgusting just to let your rubbish litter the train carriage like that???

MartinaJ Tue 08-Mar-16 08:57:44

You were right. That guy was a scumbag with no respect for anyone else and while cleaners are there to clean, it doesn't mean that we should now abandon basic manners.

SirChenjin Tue 08-Mar-16 09:02:10

Feeling your pain sista www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2586606-Woman-on-train-has-dropped-her-yoghurt-pot-on-the-floor-again?

It drives me insane. He was completely out of order and to call you the c word?? shock I don't care if the train has cleaners, that doesn't mean you get to drop your litter. Bins are there for a reason - use them.

OurBlanche Tue 08-Mar-16 09:20:17

Yes, VU. Duels have been illegal for a hundred years, and women never duelled anyway!

mollyonthemove Tue 08-Mar-16 09:23:16

Give the queen a quick call and get her to have a word. he cold clean for her?

mollyonthemove Tue 08-Mar-16 09:23:29

Could

kilmuir Tue 08-Mar-16 09:25:06

Well done you.

leelu66 Tue 08-Mar-16 09:27:05

Ugh - he hocked a loogie into a bag? envy > sick

YANBU.

londonrach Tue 08-Mar-16 09:33:19

Well done op. At least you made him think. Calling you the c word means i knows what he did was wrong. Due to mn i asked a lady to put headphones on to her phone when she had loud iplayer in a quiet carriage. I thanked her as she smiled and sorted out her headphones.

DeoGratias Tue 08-Mar-16 10:05:48

I agree. These people have to be stopped. My teenage son never lets his friends drop litter. It is only when people realise it's socially unacceptable they stop it. We also make sure there is none near the house as if there is none people drop less, all studies show.

My daughter keeps finding people dropping litter into her front garden. She was out there with a broom the other day sweeping it all up and telling people to stop.

olrose Tue 08-Mar-16 10:58:46

i would have done the exact same thing! he was obviously just a dick!

Toxicity Tue 08-Mar-16 11:23:23

YANBU - good on you for saying something.

Hygellig Tue 08-Mar-16 11:26:03

Good on you for saying something. Even if they have cleaners on the train, he should put his litter in the bin. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the type who drops litter in the street as well.

BlueEyesAndDarkChocolate Tue 08-Mar-16 12:05:38

Well done you!

I live at the seafront and there's a car park, where people pull up to look at the sea, when they have their lunch. Very often, when they are finished, they simply wind down their window and throw all the rubbish out on to the floor. We're talking Macdonalds boxes, bags and cups and sandwich boxes, coffee cups etc. Oh, and the contents of their ash trays. It's so fucking lazy. And there's a bin! My DH goes bonkers if he sees them - he makes them pick it all up and either put it in the bin, or back in their car.

In the summer, if we walk the dog on the beach in the evening, it's littered with rubbish. People come for a picnic and leave all their waste behind. Again - there's a bin.

Just no pride in their own country.

SirChenjin Tue 08-Mar-16 12:11:29

Blue - how does he make them? I'm doing something wrong - I either get sworn at, ignored, laughed at or told to pick it up myself if it bothers me. I challenged a woman on a train recently (she drops a yoghurt pot on the floor every morning on the journey to work, I posted about it her on MN) and she did say she would pick it up - but she's the exception.

cavedescreux Tue 08-Mar-16 12:39:13

Well done OP

whyistherumgone Tue 08-Mar-16 17:57:42

Thanks all, was so cross about it, it put me in a really bad mood. I've always thought you need to call people out on this kind of thing otherwise they'll just keep doing it.

HelpfulChap Tue 08-Mar-16 18:07:59

YADNBU!

Well done you. I am cut from the same cloth and could never just sit there looking sheepish.

Oh, and if I had been there I would have 100% backed you up.

He sounds like a knob.

LifeofI Tue 08-Mar-16 19:23:57

What a disgusting prick, you were absolutely right to call him out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now