Talk

Advanced search

Not to let DS (12) watch top gear?

(59 Posts)
CamboricumMinor Mon 07-Mar-16 18:53:41

DS wants to watch Top Gear, he watched one and they were talking about lap dancing clubs. Therefore DS is not allowed to watch it. I am now the worst mother in the world and all of the other boys in his class are allowed to watch it.

junebirthdaygirl Mon 07-Mar-16 18:55:41

Ah l think top gear is fine. They live all that car stuff and adventures where they take on a challenge. Lots worst he could be watching

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 07-Mar-16 18:55:45

I bet his mates are allowed to watch it.
Can'tvyou watch with him and discuss it?

quietbatperson Mon 07-Mar-16 18:56:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EatShitDerek Mon 07-Mar-16 18:56:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleBearPad Mon 07-Mar-16 18:57:03

Was that the one where they had to drive to Spearmint Rhino in 70s supercars. They didn't actually go in. It was just the destination.

Yabu. Sorry

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:57:08

Top Gear is fine for a 12 year old. YABU

Catphrase Mon 07-Mar-16 18:58:45

Watch the arctic Christmas special. It's wonderful.
It's huskies vs a Toyota hilux.
No lap dancing clubs and actually a little bit educational

RaskolnikovsGarret Mon 07-Mar-16 18:59:33

Let him watch it, even tell him what one is. I find that explaining things factually and casually demystifies a lot of potentially awkward situations.

UmbongoUnchained Mon 07-Mar-16 19:00:18

Yabu and very precious.

AKissACuddleAndACheekyFinger Mon 07-Mar-16 19:03:44

I see your reasoning but he is 12. Better to make yourself available to discuss these things than make it forbidden fruit. He hears 'lap dancing club', you ban him because of it, he Googles 'lap dancing club' shock As pps have said, he will hear much worse at school and if you've had a chat about something he's heard on TV he will then be more likely to approach you about other 'difficult' topics....

Lurkedforever1 Mon 07-Mar-16 19:04:55

Yabu. Surely it opens up the subject for discussion? My dd is the same age and many adult subjects on tv programmes have led to an informative and thoughtful conversation on them.

dodobookends Mon 07-Mar-16 19:04:59

Oh for heaven's sake - my dc has been watching it since about age 7.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Mon 07-Mar-16 19:05:02

Yabu, you can't shield him from everything, Top Gearbis harmless fun

Creatureofthenight Mon 07-Mar-16 19:05:32

YABU.

DaphneWhitethigh Mon 07-Mar-16 19:05:37

Normally when they say "but muuuuuum everyone else in the class is allowed..." they're trying it on, but in this case I suspect it's the literal truth. It's still your choice, and there are a vocal minority who loathe TG and won't have it in the house but it's definitely a minority view. Just look at all the Top Gear books in the children's section of your local library.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 07-Mar-16 19:05:46

Yabu

NewLife4Me Mon 07-Mar-16 19:07:11

Does he not know about lap dancing clubs then?
use it as a good measure of what you need to discuss with him another time, after the programme.
All mine have seen it at this age and none have turned into misogynistic, sexist, whatever else has been thrown at the presenters grin

kippersyllabub Mon 07-Mar-16 19:07:40

It's always hard to judge these things but I think banning Top Gear in these circumstances would perhaps just foster resentment and rebellion.

saoirse31 Mon 07-Mar-16 19:07:46

Yabu. What will you let him watch??

CPtart Mon 07-Mar-16 19:09:56

YABU. My ten year old has watched almost every episode. One of two items are close to the bone but you have to let it go. They'll have heard worse in the playground.

CamboricumMinor Mon 07-Mar-16 19:10:43

Fair enough, Top Gear is back on the viewing menu. I didn't know if it was generally sexist clap trap or a one off so it's good to get views from here.
Personally I can't stand the programme or Jeremy Clarkson so that was an influencing factor!

Kleinzeit Mon 07-Mar-16 19:18:25

I didn’t know it was physically possible to stop a 12 year old boy watching Top Gear. Isn’t it some kind of formal developmental stage? grin

The lap-dancing is the exception rather than the rule. It's a bit sexist at times in a blokey kind of way but hey ho.

When DS went through it I did enjoy a few episodes but by the time he grew out of it I had to leave the room at the sound of Jeremy Clarkson’s irritating voice.

CamboricumMinor Mon 07-Mar-16 19:21:46

Kleinzeit grin

At least he's watching it in the lounge so I can talk about the sexist rubbish with him! Just a shame I have to listen to Clarkson droning on talking.

shebird Mon 07-Mar-16 19:27:31

DD has watched it since she was 11. Thinks its hilarious - ok so its not necessarily pc but she understands the humour and doesn't take it seriously.

I think kids this age are watching far worse and YABU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now